Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Debating whether to pay the extra +$1500 for the EX-L with navigation or saving that and use Hondalink? What are people's experience with using Hondalink for navigation? I understand from the AppStore reviews it's a little buggy but I would only use it once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Debating whether to pay the extra +$1500 for the EX-L with navigation or saving that and use Hondalink? What are people's experience with using Hondalink for navigation? I understand from the AppStore reviews it's a little buggy but I would only use it once I a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive been using it for a year and it works fine. I honestly think people just don't understand how to use it. For instance, you have to have the Honda Nav App running when in use and cannot exit it on the phone otherwise it will disconnect from the head unit with an error msg. I use it at least once per week and I am glad I saved the money not buying the EXL with nav.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an EX-L w/out navi. I have Hondalink navigation app. Like James said, most people who complain about it aren't using it properly. However, I've had it for 6 months now and I must say I'm not a fan. Here are my issues:

• Can't type in destination while driving. I understand the safety feature, but if I have a passenger willing to enter the info they can not unless the vehicle is in Park.
  • The graphics suck. In the past I've used a Garmin even if I don't have it giving directions. It is helpful in dark areas or when its raining hard and you are unable to read street signs. The Garmin would have a nice clear display with the upcoming street labled. This is not the case with Hondalink. Crude graphics, and poor labeling of streets
  • The directions suck! When I first downloaded the app I started using it whenever I drove so I could see its suggestions on how to get there. I would also compare its directions to those given by Google Maps and Apple Maps. It would suggest routes adding extra mileage and extra time! I really just don't get it. I did try adjusting the options (Minimize toll roads and Use Traffic) and it really didn't help.
If you have any other questions I'll gladly answer them.

Russ

·
Registered
381 Posts
The built in one isn't much better, IMO. Painful to use, slow, gets very creative in the routes. I also tried the suggested app with my Android phone, via usb cable. (it was a trial demo and not impressive) Have you tried the WAZE app on your smartphone? That blows them both away, IMO, with both the directions and the content. (spoken street names, real time traffic and re routing options for things like police, pot holes, roadkill, construction, weather, etc) Now if there was a way to get THAT on the nav screen, I'd be thrilled. Until then, I ordered a phone holder bracket (which is being delivered today).

·
Registered
429 Posts
russellps said:
Can't type in destination while driving.
Try this.

Driver presses voice command button on steering wheel while driving. You say Navigation, driver presses button and you say ..... etc

You as the passenger can even swith from Audio/Voice mode to typing in the street address

1 - 6 of 6 Posts