Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am, suddenly, having a problem getting my phone (iPhone 6, iOS 11.2) to connect to HondaLink on the head unit of my 2017 EX-L. I noticed, yesterday, that the dashboard of the HondaLink app hadn't updated in, almost, a week (obviously, it was working fine up until then). Now, something wasn't connecting. To start troubleshooting, I started my car, launched the app on my phone an saw "Connecting" on my phone display (as is usual), then, I opened HondaLink on the head unit. After seeing a spinning white circle on a black screen for several moments I was presented with the error in the attached photo: "Authentication Failed. Please try again later." I can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem. I have tried all of the following:

• Rebooting the head unit
  • Logging out of the app, then, logging back in
  • Deleting the app from my phone and reinstalling it
  • Deleting my phone from the head unit and re-pairing it

Nothing has worked. Every time I launch HondaLink from the head unit, I can't get past the authentication error. The Bluetooth connection between my phone and the car is working just fine. i.e. I can make phone calls from the car, etc. I also know that there is nothing wrong with my HondaLink credentials as I can log in to the app just fine. The problem is that the app and my head unit are just, completely, refusing to connect to each other.

The only thing I haven't tried, yet (which the tech support person I spoke to suggested), was doing a factory reset of the head unit (figured I'd wait until I had more time so I could put all my customizations, that I'd lose on the reset, back in place). Barring that, I'm out of ideas. I tried again, later. Authentication is, still, failing. How else do I get this connection back?

Photo Dec 05, 8 30 59 AM.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m getting the same thing. Nothing seems to help. I think it started with the iOS 11.2 update, but I’m not sure. Clearly the phone is connecting, but the issue is that the HondaLink app isn’t seeing the connection at all and therefore the connection from the head unit fails.

Called Honda In-car Tech Support. It is a known problem, but there is no resolution at this time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yea getting it 2, it is an Apple problem I understand, not holding my breath for Apple to fix it any time soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@jayweiss...It's, definitely, not related to the iOS 11.2 update. For me, the problem started BEFORE I updated to 11.2, and updating made no difference.

@TLC1957...I'm quite confident that it's not an Apple problem as it has nothing to do with Carplay. The problem is all Honda.

By the way, I did try a factory reset of the head unit. It did, absolutely, nothing.

I have a service appointment, this evening, for an oil change. I plan to ask them about this issue, as well. We'll see what else they can tell me.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I lost my HondaLink when I updated to iOS 11/ iPhone 8. My Pandora app stopped also. It looks like Apple has messed it up!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The last time it worked for me was 11/23, about the time I updated to 11. I hope your visit today sheds some info on the problem, let us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I believe the last time mine synced was on 11/28. It, definitely, looks like something failed with the system during that late-November time frame.

My dealer couldn't offer me anything, yesterday, that I hadn't already tried. Their recommendation was to go to the HandsFreeLink/Honda web site to verify phone and carrier compatibility, then, make a follow-up appointment if I still have connectivity problems. Even though, I made it quite clear that I'm well beyond that troubleshooting step. I know my device is compatible. It worked until last month. That, and the HandsFreeLink web site is completely useless, not to mention horribly outdated (the newest iPhone they list there is the 5S).

I did ask the service adviser if there were any newer software or firmware updates that have been released for the head unit. They checked, and there were not.

I'm not, entirely, sold on it being an Apple problem, but I won't rule it out, either. I'd be curious to know if any Android users are experiencing similar connectivity failures, as of late. Oh well...looks like a battle for another year...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an iPhone 7 (11.2.1) and the last time HondaLink connected was 12/16. In the past I would have occasional times when it would connect, but this is the longest period I’ve experienced.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
It’s totally a Apple thing , I owned a 2016 Honda Pilot for 1 1/2 year and it worked great, I have a 2017 HR-V & CR-V and they worked great too. Then I bought a iPhone 8 that came with IOS 11 and that is the last time Pandora and HondaLink worked. It seems more then coincidental, I’m convinced that Apple messed up our cars, I’m sure they will fix it in time, I’m not a patient person but what other choice do I have :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same problem, "Authentication Failed". After looking around, found a KB article on Apple website, where a user solved a similar problem back in 2016. So, I tried the same solution and it worked...at least for my 2017 CR-V.
- Got my CR-V close to the house and connected to my house Wi-Fi router (Home > Settings > Bluetooth/Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi to enable and connect)
- After establishing connection to my house Wi-Fi router, went to CR-V's Home > HondaLink and it connected without any problem
- Went back to Settings > Bluetooth/Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi and disable Wi-Fi
- Ensure iPhone (or Android phone) is connected through cable (CarPlay) or via Bluetooth, and go back to Home > HondaLink, and it will ask you to select a connection method; select HondaLink app and it will use your phone to connect.

Hope above solution works for you as well.

A disappointment I have is that I do not see all the features of HondaLink app. Supposedly, I should see the mileage, fuel range and oil life in the app, but I do not see any of those under Dashboard. Even the "Send Destination" to Navigation System takes so long, it is faster for me to just type in the address manually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have same problem. Brought car to dealer. Dealer said this is due to a Apple update which is not compatible with Honda Link. Does not know if Honda will issue an update. Really stinks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am, suddenly, having a problem getting my phone (iPhone 6, iOS 11.2) to connect to HondaLink on the head unit of my 2017 EX-L. I noticed, yesterday, that the dashboard of the HondaLink app hadn't updated in, almost, a week (obviously, it was working fine up until then). Now, something wasn't connecting. To start troubleshooting, I started my car, launched the app on my phone an saw "Connecting" on my phone display (as is usual), then, I opened HondaLink on the head unit. After seeing a spinning white circle on a black screen for several moments I was presented with the error in the attached photo: "Authentication Failed. Please try again later." I can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem. I have tried all of the following:

• Rebooting the head unit
  • Logging out of the app, then, logging back in
  • Deleting the app from my phone and reinstalling it
  • Deleting my phone from the head unit and re-pairing it

Nothing has worked. Every time I launch HondaLink from the head unit, I can't get past the authentication error. The Bluetooth connection between my phone and the car is working just fine. i.e. I can make phone calls from the car, etc. I also know that there is nothing wrong with my HondaLink credentials as I can log in to the app just fine. The problem is that the app and my head unit are just, completely, refusing to connect to each other.

The only thing I haven't tried, yet (which the tech support person I spoke to suggested), was doing a factory reset of the head unit (figured I'd wait until I had more time so I could put all my customizations, that I'd lose on the reset, back in place). Barring that, I'm out of ideas. I tried again, later. Authentication is, still, failing. How else do I get this connection back?

View attachment 106074
My 2017 CRV Touring has the same problem. I have an iPhone 7. I tried the same fixes as "Cerebro" but I still get the circle and authentican failure. Last time connected with Hondalink was on Dec 20. Not sure if it's a Honda issue or an Apple issue. I'm dropping my CRV off to the Toronto Downtown dealership next week for a traffic indicator problem on my head unit and will mention this problem also.

I like the CRV but I've had an engine oil leak and several other little problems. In my opnion, too many problems for a new car that's been on the road for only six months and 8,000 km (5,000 miles for our US friends).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toronto - Further to message #13 above, my traffic indicator problem has been fixed by updating the software but the HondaLink couldn't be fixed at this time. The service advisor and I both use iPhone 7's and we both couldn't connect. The mechanic had an older iPhone (6 maybe?) and he said that he connected. The service advisor said he's seen quite a few complaints about connection issues with HondaLink but there's no fix yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My iPhone 7 (11.2.2} has not connected since 12/16. When checking today the app said an update was needed before it could be used. Updated (3.4.3) tried to connect through HondaLink on crv screen and spinning circle showed up on screen, eventually displaying message “Authentication failed. Please try again later.” I rebooted the head unit and my phone but this made made no difference. Has anyone else had any luck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing on my 2017 CRV. Called Honda and some finger pointing going on. They claim it started with IOS 11.0 and got worse with updates thru the current 11.2. They claimed Apple was made aware of it and the fix is in beta right now with Apple. I just saw a new HL app update today which I installed but still wont connect. Anxiously awaiting Apple's fix if its them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
How can it be a ****ing Apple thing. This is again 100% Honda’s responsibility. Honda needs to make sure their App remains compatible with future iOS devices and software versions. What do you think, Apple is responsible for Honda’s products - what the ****?

·
Registered
679 Posts
People like you is why Apple rejects **** apps from their store. Because then you’ll blame Apple. Apple historically rejects Apps that don’t do the things the developers say the App does. I’m going to push a strong effort for Apple to remove the HondaLink app from the App Store because it doesn’t do what the developer says it does. I guarantee you this will result in either Honda fixing it or Apple booting them out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts