Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love the look of the Passport. I purchased a Pilot in August 2018 and three weeks ago I traded it for a CRV. The pilot was great but the gas was killing me. From NY to PA every week or so and son’s basketball practice/games I found myself spending more money on gas I was not anticipating. Now the CRV serves me well and with a full tank I don’t think about gas anymore the way I used to with the pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That's a nice looking SUV. We had an '06 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5L V6........spooky quick and lots of towing grunt.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
Sister/brother forum Piloteers now has a specific section for the Passport.
Yes I'm Rocky over there to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems like the depreciation from trading in a 3 month old Pilot would far exceed the savings from the CR-V's better gas mileage.
I love the look of the Passport. I purchased a Pilot in August 2018 and three weeks ago I traded it for a CRV. The pilot was great but the gas was killing me. From NY to PA every week or so and son’s basketball practice/games I found myself spending more money on gas I was not anticipating. Now the CRV serves me well and with a full tank I don’t think about gas anymore the way I used to with the pilot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems like the depreciation from trading in a 3 month old Pilot would far exceed the savings from the CR-V's better gas mileage.
I bought the Pilot at a good price and only lost less than 2K. Monthly payments are now about 70 less and the loan amount on the CRV is also less. In the long run it would out better for me owning the CRV than the Pilot even after looking the 2K

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was intrigued as I prefer a V6 too. When they said it would be sized in between the CR-V and the Pilot, I was picturing something along the lines Kia Sorrento or the smaller Santa Fe, but from what I've seen since the reveal, it sounds like the Passport is basically a Pilot without the third row, nearly as big and bloated. Why does it have to be so big without a third row? The automakers in general seem hellbent on forcing people into bigger vehicles with removal of potent engines from smaller vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would've preferred the Avancier/UR-V.

The Passport looks like the Pilot's little brother. Big mistake forcing people to get leather if they want a touchscreen.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
There's another thread talking about the new Passport:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13-dear-honda-feedback-forum/192899-yeeeehaw.html

There's a couple of links to what information is available, including this from an Edmunds.com article:
From nose to tail, the 2019 Passport is 190.5 inches long. That's 10 inches longer than a CR-V and 6 inches shorter than the midsize Pilot.
So 6 inches makes a difference? :banana: I jest, of course! But I often wonder when the car mags say one car is better because it is .2 sec (point 2 second) faster 0-60. Really??? Who could even tell?

A little levity is always a good thing around here these days.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I never understood 3-row crossovers like the Pilot. If the third row is used, there is zero luggage space. Most people keep the 3rd row stowed, but the third row still takes up a bunch of cargo space. Compared to the Pilot, the new Passport probably will have more storage space behind the 2nd row, even though it is shorter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My guess is the Passport will be 500 lbs. heavier than the CR-V. For a few extra cubic feet of storage space and 5 less mpg? For towing and off-road, yes. For every day driving... no thanks.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
My guess is the Passport will be 500 lbs. heavier than the CR-V. For a few extra cubic feet of storage space and 5 less mpg? For towing and off-road, yes. For every day driving... no thanks.
And most likely a quieter and smoother ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree. I chose the CRV over a 14 RDX. Had the V6 which was nice, but premium fuel, crappier mpg, and an inferior cabin to the CRV made the decision a no brainer. CRV is a great commuter....something the Passport will not be likely. It sure looks sweet tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
I'm guessing it's at most 200lbs lighter than the Pilot. So 3800-4100lbs.
Under the rear floor is a massive storage bin area, and even the spare tire is there, Ridgeline style.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I agree that the third row seating is not a great idea in the Pilot, and is only there as a way for the Pilot to inch it's foot in the door in the full size segment, where is won't otherwise hang anyway, and it is not really very well executed in the Pilot, being more of a hindrance than a help to most folks who choose to own Pilots. If you really want third row seating, the Odyssey is a way better option all around. I think Honda is realizing this, and the Passport re-intro is a precursor to dropping the Pilot. This would tighten up Honda's fleet overall in the mileage department, just a smidge.

One thing I have not seen discussed here much is something I think makes the real difference between choosers of the CR-V and of the Pilot. That's the fact that many CR-V owners picked them because they were looking for the best possible vehicle for sitting in rush hour traffic. Commuters want relative comfort, good safety, entertainment, and excellent mileage. For those of us that are city dwellers, this is a huge consideration. The Pilot's mass has pros and cons in this hunt, but it loses points for mileage and for being unnecessarily large. If you are a daily grind participant in this race you know 99% of the cars in traffic are carrying one person. Most of the rest have just two. It's why HOV lanes are such a lose-lose waste of space in the race to and from work. No matter what incentives the government's pencil pushers can ever offer, this will never work, because people have certain preferences and requirements and are not willing to adapt.

I think the Passport makes sense as a choice for those commuters who want the larger mass at any cost or mileage, but I don't see it cutting into the CR-V segment at all. But I also don't see both the Pilot and Passport staying in the lineup, they are just too similar. So I think the Passport, which removes some of that mass that the third row seating requires and points those folks who want it towards the Odyssey, and takes away the pressure for Honda to keep the Pilot by still offering all the other benefits at a slightly lower price and size. Meanwhile, the CR-V can retain its position at the top of the heap in it's segment, which is as the perfect commuter/rush hour car. I suppose Honda could conceivably move forward on a full size entry, a truck and an SUV, maybe even with a V8, but I am kind of skeptical of that. I think the Pilot will go away once the Passport takes hold.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,760 Posts
You guys seem to be justifying the production of minivans. <GASP> :angel2:

If the vans go away, what are Uber/taxi drivers going to use? :confused2:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Hah!!! I love it! The thing is, some of us are secure enough in our masculinity that we do not see minivans as other than just another choice/configuration. If you actually need third row seating, or carry multiple passengers daily, or want people/cargo capacity and versatility, the Odyssey beats all other comers. The only thing that made me choose the CR-V instead of an Odyssey was the V6 and its mileage, which would still have been leaps and bounds better than my F250's ten mpg. The Odyssey is more comfortable and way more versatile than a Pilot, And I think the biggest reason the Pilot class of vehicle even exists is because of those aforementioned issues. In the 60's it was muscle cars. In the 70's it was Volkswagons. In the 80's in was Custom Vans. Later it became mini-vans, then pickups, and now it's SUV's of every size, including crossovers. Shoot, the way things are going now, it almost looks like there will be no more cars, just pickups, SUVs, and mini-vans. Until it changes again. And it will. Right now I'm waiting for my Honda Drone car/aircraft. Now that, will be fun! Everything now just sort of pales in comparison, eh?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts