Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a 1999 CR-v for my sister-in-law and had some questions for the forum. The seller is asking for $3,000 but it has some issues.
Transmission was just replaced, new brake pads, clean in and out considering the age (some scratches and chips, dent in front bumper cover, driver side headlight out of place slightly, easy fixes cosmetically). However, ...

Took it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection which suggested replacing / repairing / maintenance on the following:

1. Timing belt (and water pump, adjust valves, gaskets, standard timing belt stuff) - makes sense at 183,000 miles, uncertain when/if done before.
  2. Valve cover gasket - leaking oil
  3. Replace radiator hoses (I can do)
  4. Replace oil pan gasket (I can do - $27 part, 3 hour job in my garage, 2 hours if the mechanic does it)
  5. Replace torn center muffler (I can do - $180 part, I can replace, same time as the oil pan gasket since the exhaust needs to be removed for this too).
Still, even if I do the radiator hoses, oil pan gasket, and muffler myself ($300 in parts) there's another $800 for the mechanic to do ... $1,100 at best for repairs.

I can probably get the seller to go as low as $2,700. But the bluebook on this will still max out at $4,150 in "Excellent" condition which it honestly still would fall short of.

Skip it and keep looking or jump on it and just eat the repair costs?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Check out a few of them before you decide! You’ll know which one gets your interest!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forums, jbrams! I think $3k is a lil pricey for a 99 with 183k miles that needs over $1k labor/work... Like Rickman said, you should shop around for other deals before you make that decision. Most of the first gens you encounter will need timing belt / water pump service as they're over 120-150k miles. I just recently serviced mine yesterday at 130k.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think the cost of the car is high even if you get it for $2,700 with the known issues you have when you consider the possibility of unknown issues and the probability that the repairs will exceed your estimates. You're getting into a lot of work and anything that happens to it will be your "fault" in your sister-in-law's eyes because you "chose" it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "mechanic" said it needed a belt? I think 99's are a chain drive. Not knocking replacement, as I have replaced timing chains in other vehicles prior to failure...but I will share I am a little "odd" that way and tend to keep stuff a really (really) long time. Unless they actually verified cam to crank play (rotate with valve cover off, or something similar) they are 'fishing" IMHO.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The "mechanic" said it needed a belt? I think 99's are a chain drive. Not knocking replacement, as I have replaced timing chains in other vehicles prior to failure...but I will share I am a little "odd" that way and tend to keep stuff a really (really) long time. Unless they actually verified cam to crank play (rotate with valve cover off, or something similar) they are 'fishing" IMHO.
My son-in-law has a 2000 or 2001 and it has a belt. They are an interference engine and a broken belt spells expensive. Better safe than sorry. There is no advance notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts