Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my CR-V on 12/12/15 and I am loving it so far, but the gas mileage is just horrible :-( I don't know what it's caused by but I contacted my dealer and he told me to run 4 tanks of gas while the manager told me to run 4000 mi. on it before hitting the car's prime fuel efficiency. So I don't really know who to believe. Here's what I'm currently have/am doing:

- 60% City / 30% Hwy
- Hardly ever any abrupt braking / accelerating, usually going 5 mph over the speed limit
- AC rarely is on, seat warmers occasionally on
- ECON button always on
- Very rarely on sport mode
- ~925 mi, have filled up 5 times in the span of 2 months

Yet I am currently averaging 16 mpg city and 27 mpg hwy :-( I have never passed 30 mpg whatsoever. Do I have to continue to let the engine break in? Is there possibly something wrong with my car? Help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
City driving with lots of stops and goes will certainly decrease ones mpg. How did your previous vehicle perform in the same situation?

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Try for a month without ECON, plain D shift drive and consider we are still inside winter fuel blend season, at least for another month or more. Any additional electrical components, such as seat warmers, using blower heat due to cold, puts more work into alternator, lowers coolant temps and engine may not be operating at optimal heat settings for fuel trims, cats, sensors etc.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a couple 2015's (same exact car as your 2016) and they get about 26 average, according to the computer which tells you your past 4 tank averages. For city driving about 24-26, for highway I can get about 35 on a long trip by driving gently and with eco on. I drive mostly back roads and city. 16 doesnt sound even close to right. Are you 'warming it up' in the morning? (which would throw off those stats)

I'm up to 3800 miles with my personal crv, and the mileage is about the same as it was with 100 miles.

Hopefully it gets resolved for ya

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your efficiency numbers are actually not that surprising. I drive in roughly the same conditions as you (i.e. mostly city, occasional highway) and get about the same.

Keep in mind that “city” driving is difficult to compare. I drive a lot in NYC and my efficiency plummets when I’m in Manhattan but it’s much better when in Queens and it’s even better when I’m in some town in Long Island. I’m sure that’s all considered “city” driving but the difference in efficiency between each 3 is almost 10mpg.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
City driving is absolutely horrible. My wife drives about 2 miles round trip from work to home and vice versa. If we only do city driving we get 18 mpg's as per the onboard computer. Once we do some highway driving it bumps up significantly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
City driving is absolutely horrible. My wife drives about 2 miles round trip from work to home and vice versa. If we only do city driving we get 18 mpg's as per the onboard computer. Once we do some highway driving it bumps up significantly.
There you go, 2 mile round trip would explain such horrible milage. Not getting a chance to heat up that and 900+, the engine is not even broken in yet.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
There you go, 2 mile round trip would explain such horrible milage. Not getting a chance to heat up that and 900+, the engine is not even broken in yet.
I'm not the OP. I was simply stating that short trips equal to bad fuel economy. We still average 25 MPG and have gotten 37 on an all highway trip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
OP's biggest problem is having the ECO button pushed in. That will automatically lug the engine with the mapping from the ECU.
I'll bet there's a lot of warm up time involved too. Remember, while warming up the car while it's just sitting, it's getting ZERO mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your efficiency numbers are actually not that surprising. I drive in roughly the same conditions as you (i.e. mostly city, occasional highway) and get about the same.

Keep in mind that “city” driving is difficult to compare. I drive a lot in NYC and my efficiency plummets when I’m in Manhattan but it’s much better when in Queens and it’s even better when I’m in some town in Long Island. I’m sure that’s all considered “city” driving but the difference in efficiency between each 3 is almost 10mpg.
Yeah I realized. I don't think my area is as congested as yours, but I live in Bellevue, WA where there's no major stop/go problem and the longest I'd ever wait @ an intersection would be 2 minutes, 3 if there's heavy traffic. Maybe I just have to break everything in more

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP's biggest problem is having the ECO button pushed in. That will automatically lug the engine with the mapping from the ECU.
I'll bet there's a lot of warm up time involved too. Remember, while warming up the car while it's just sitting, it's getting ZERO mpg.
To be honest I'm not all that into cars so I don't know what the ECU means / does, but I'll take your word for it. My only problem though is when I turn ECO off I get a 2-3 mpg dip.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
ECU=Engine Control Unit, ie the brains that tell the engine how to perform given all the sensor inputs.
If you're really getting a 2-3 mpg dip, leave the Eco on then and break it in more.
When we have our Eco on it makes the car drive like an old lady is driving it as the performance is really sluggish due to the lugging of the engine. So we leave it off, and my wife still complains that I drive like an old man, which I am, but that's another matter entirely.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 2015 EX-L AWD. I get about 21 in city driving (stop and go) - I drive about 25 miles per day - 10 miles to work and back and then maybe some errands. I can get about 2-3 MPG better when buying non-ethanol gas but it is not worth it as it is more expensive.

I was also told by the dealer that there was a break-in period. My mileage has not changed since day 1 with the CRV.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For the last two months, I drove a new 2015 EX-L loaner. My manually-calculated average was 31.2 MPG. A few days ago, I bought a new 2016 Touring. Based on the trip computer alone, I'm averaging several MPG less. My Fuelly badge in my signature will start reporting my average on the 2016 next Sunday.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts