Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm improvising a rear camera installation on my 2006 CRV Ex. I have a Thule offset spare tire bike rack on which I fashioned a camera mount that both camouflaged and centered the camera. I can run the camera wire into the tail gate through a small hole drilled into the bottom of the windshield wiper block, where it will connect to power and to wireless broadcast module. Is there a live wire in the tail gate when the ignition is on? That would simplify things alot. First click up of the light switch turns on the tail lights and the license plate light. Could connect into the license plate light wire easily but would have to drive full-time with tail lights on. Any other hot wires accessible? Will attach pics later. Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think there is anything in the door itself that has ignition power. You will probably need to pull it from the power socket in the back.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What about a connection to the reverse light of the right rear flank? It is very close to the tailgate hinge. Camera will then get current only when gearbox is in reverse.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had thought of the reverse wire as well, but they are installing a wireless camera. That probably takes more than a few seconds to establish the connection after the unit gets power. You would have to put it in reverse, then wait until everything connected before you would get a picture.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a wireless camera (meaning that it sends wirelessly to the small monitor which is connected to the 12 V port on the dashboard), with the power for the camera coming from the reverse light. It takes 1 sec to get the picture after putting the gear in reverse. A delay there may be due to disturbances which could be overcome by changing the frequency on the monitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts