Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not in a conspicuous location, thankfully. But I still want to get it removed. Called a few paintless dent removal service and got quotes around $300. Way more than it's worth.

I wonder if I can do it myself? I hope to remove the inside panel (don't know how) and "knock it out" from the inside. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
For PDR, $300 is way too expensive, Just had hail damage fixed on my CRV and F250 and looked at the sheet, and for something of that size they would charge $175 (softball size). It looks like something that can be taken out. Just take off the spare, and the inner trim pieces. And I would also take the tailgate off in order to lay it down. Wrap the piece in a towel to prevent scratches. Since where the dent is is originally a flat area, put some 2X8's behind it (out side), and like a 2X4 behind it (inside of tailgate). Hit the 2X4 on the inside with a hammer to push it out most of the way. This should get it most the way out. And then to finish it off, take the interior 2X4 away, Take a screwdriver and use the handle side against the metal and lightly tap that with a hammer to push out and spots still present.
If all the big spots are taken out and only small dents remain. Put the tailgate back on and get a plastic Dimple maker (used for making dimples in steel, but made of plastic, a tool used in PDR). Use the plastic dimple tool and lightly tap out any remaining spots. Afterwards you can sand out any irregularities with a very fine sand paper. And if anything in the paint remains, you can use a buffer pad and buff it out. Lastly, put the interior trim and spare back on. It should look fine afterwards.
For an example you should be able to find plenty of videos on youtube.
Good Luck.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,435 Posts
I bet the spare tire carrier is crooked now, too. THAT is what caused the wrinkled tailgate.

Around here, PDR guys charge $150 USD a panel. Get some other estimates.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I got quotes from $100 to $2o0. My only worry is further damage if I have them fix it. Will the paint get damaged in the process? I wouldn't want the paint to crack.

Someone recommended using a hair blower and cold spray. Is that worth a try?

We got the CRV new and took care of it. It only has 90k miles and still drives like new. I plan to keep this until it can't no longer be driven so I think it's worth it to fix the dent. It obviously bother me a bit if I'm going to post about it here.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,435 Posts
If the paint is cracked it would be where the spare tire carrier bracket mounts. You should have a look to prevent future rust.

I'd remove the spare and ask the PDR guy to look carefully there. At this point you could prime & brush-paint into any cracked paint. It would be invisible once the spare is back on the car.

PDR will not crack paint. I have a hot-glue dent remover called the Ding King but that is for small blemishes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTdFRPX59o
It has never damaged my paint (not even on the accident-repaired, repainted section of my wife's van).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bet there's more to it than just a dent in a door. Not a simple PDR job. Have you taken the spare off to take a look? The wheel carrier is not simply screwed to the door.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually want to take off the spare tire because someone recommended that I try to take out the dent with a plunger. That'll save me the trouble of taking the trim out from the inside (which I hate to do). Right now the spare tire is in the way.

It's good that I can take a look at any further damage by removing the spare. But how do you do it though? I can't find any Youtube videos that shows the procedure for spare tire removal.

BTW this is my parent's car originally and they gave it to me. The damage occurred years ago.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,435 Posts
To remove the spare wheel:

1. Remove the spare tire cover. (My fabric one unzips from the bottom. Not sure of the plastic one on your car, which was a dealer installed accessory)

2. Remove three 19mm lug nuts from the spare

3. Remove the spare wheel

Post a picture of how the sheetmetal looks behind the spare.

PS: if the rubber on the spare is old (look for the date code)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

You may want to replace it next time you buy new tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts