Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HDMI feature doesn't work. Was thinking if we can upgrade audio system to support android auto or any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,608 Posts
You could of course replace the Head Unit, but that's kind of drastic.
You can get a lot of AA functionality without having it on the head unit though:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could of course replace the Head Unit, but that's kind of drastic.
You can get a lot of AA functionality without having it on the head unit though:
I already went through this article. It doesn't describe how to use andriod auto in car. It describe how to use it in your phone. If my phone has google maps why'd i use AA. All i want my google maps to mirror in dashboard . Bluetooth feature also doesn't work

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
I think you are missing my point.
The 2016 CR-V does not have Android Auto, so you can't use it.
AA and Carplay in the CR-V started in 2017.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are missing my point.
The 2016 CR-V does not have Android Auto, so you can't use it.
AA and Carplay in the CR-V started in 2017.
That's correct. What i am looking is to mirror my google maps to the dash system either through HDMI/Bluetooth or any other method. So far i have no success with HDMI/Bluetooth for paring . I guess it's not possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
So you're saying your car has an HDMI input? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with that year).
And that you phone has an HDMI out? (Or USB-C with appropriate adapter and support).
BT will carry audio, but not video. You may need to send both by HDMI though.
If the HDMI isn't mirroring, start by trying it with a TV set to make sure the phone is putting out a signal, then see about the head unit.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
163 Posts
That's correct. What i am looking is to mirror my google maps to the dash system either through HDMI/Bluetooth or any other method. So far i have no success with HDMI/Bluetooth for paring . I guess it's not possible.
I've tried this with my '16, didn't work. IIRC, the display is smaller and the resolution wasn't very good. And (more importantly) when you put it in drive the display goes off. There's supposedly a setting you can get to (a developer type setting) that will override the 'in drive' issue, but it didn't work for me. And besides, as mentioned, the display not being a full display, it was cropped, it really wasn't worth any more effort.

As beww mentions, these headunits simply don't have AA or Carplay. Getting a headunit with them in it entails some loss (almost certainly) of some of the existing functionality. And even then, every time you need to use maps you have to connect the phone first, and not just bluetooth, it needs more 'bandwidth' to send the maps (wifi, usb).

It's really like a losing battle. I prefer to use the phone via bluetooth (for the directions), a holder of some sort, and keep all the original functionality. But at the same time, mine is ex-l and has nav built in, and if you get gps coordinates it's easy to enter them and use it. They actually function quite well that way.

cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've tried this with my '16, didn't work. IIRC, the display is smaller and the resolution wasn't very good. And (more importantly) when you put it in drive the display goes off. There's supposedly a setting you can get to (a developer type setting) that will override the 'in drive' issue, but it didn't work for me. And besides, as mentioned, the display not being a full display, it was cropped, it really wasn't worth any more effort.

As beww mentions, these headunits simply don't have AA or Carplay. Getting a headunit with them in it entails some loss (almost certainly) of some of the existing functionality. And even then, every time you need to use maps you have to connect the phone first, and not just bluetooth, it needs more 'bandwidth' to send the maps (wifi, usb).

It's really like a losing battle. I prefer to use the phone via bluetooth (for the directions), a holder of some sort, and keep all the original functionality. But at the same time, mine is ex-l and has nav built in, and if you get gps coordinates it's easy to enter them and use it. They actually function quite well that way.

cheers
I have a 2016 EX, and managed to get this "hack" working with no difficulty, instructions on how to connect and access it via the head unit are easily found. The setting to allow the display to work when the car is in motion is a bit clunky to have to do each time you start the car. What killed it for me is the fact that when the Gmaps form the phone displayed onto the head unit screen, it was badly squashed and therefore badly distorted. It filled the screen width, but left quite a few mms of black space at the top and bottom of the screen, and I couldn't figure out how to have the window completely fill the screen. I also find the stock HU screen to be pretty poor quality )as bad as the sound quality), so in the end, we've just gone to using a phone holder and mounting my big phone just above the screen.

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
477 Posts
Since you have an HDMI input, I wonder if something like Chromecast would work. Plug in to HDMI and an empty USB slot, set up a wifi hotspot on your phone and then set up Chromecast to use that hotspot. But, your phone must be able to mirror a screen (screen cast). Not all can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts