Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 1st. gen. CR-V for my wife almost 12 years ago with over a little of 125,00 miles on it for $1,400.00. The interior was flawless and with just minor dings and scratches on the body. It now has well over 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect.

Yes, we’ve put around another $1,500.00 into it through the years for maintenance and new sets of tires and yes it has the infuriating door lock problems like almost all of them have. This thing though is like a rock, it just keeps going and going and going!

We’ve taken it on two 2,000 plus trips across most of the U.S. and many, many other 500-1,000 mile trips and it has never let us down.

I owned a Subaru that I bought new in 1988 and it was great for a few years but it started giving me troubles after about 20 years. I kept throwing money into it and mechanics would fix it but after awhile it would repeat it’s unreliability.

My wife finally bugged over and over to get a reliable car. I thought about a used Subaru Forester and started looking on Craig’s List. There were a few Foresters but they were above my price point. Suddenly I thought, why not look for another 1998 CR-V like my wife’s!

I looked and there was only one with 205,000 miles on it but the seller, (an older lady), had recently put $2,000.00 of engine work into it and had the receipt for all work done and had bought a late model CR-V and was only asking $3,700.00 for it.

I went and checked it out and like my wife’s V it had some scratches and mild dings in the body but the interior was flawless! I offered her $3,000.00 for it and she agreed! Since then, I’ve put over 50,000 miles on it and it still runs like new.

My friend who lives in Oregon and bought a brand new V in 1999, sold it with 375,00 miles on the clock and it was still running fine!

Sorry for the long diatribe but these things are amazing if you take care of them. On our 2 cross country trips we saw many, many 1st. gen. V’s. We live in a tiny town and not including our 2 V’s, there are 3 others still going strong! Every where we go, we still see many of these old work horses still chugging on. Honda got these things right!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The picture shows the difference in the rear seats. (Camper Left, Non Right.) Note in the second picture i got the front seat to lie flush with the rear.

The "Camper seat" allows for the front and rear to become a lounge bed in the car. I happen to find them in a junk yard.

·
Registered
190 Posts
sold my original '99 lx a couple of years ago (rust issues). i used it for many tasks, and hated to see it go. if i could find a nice '99-'01 (preferably manual transmission), i would buy it! i overlapped with an '06 jeep LJ wrangler for about a year. couldn't wait to get back to crv!

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
The camper seats were only fitted to CR-V EXs and SEs, but all of those have them. The EX model was only made 98 and later, and the SE was only made 2000 and later.

The seats are fairly easy to take out, however. You may be able to find some in a junkyard, and put them in your car.

I was considering this when I was looking to buy my car, but I got lucky and found any ex-model I love.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn’t it amazing that this sub-forum here about 1st. gen CR-V’s still gets such major attention? I remember a few years ago when I first joined this crvowersclub and I asked about something concerning my wife’s’98 V on another sub forum, a guy came on and said, “why are you still driving such an old car and you should upgrade.” Boy, did Honda get these things 1st. generations right!

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
The owner's manual describes it better than I can.

You work at a dealer, right? Don't you have access to owner's and service manuals?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Honda did great with gen1 and gen2. Then the American business model got involved.... honda since their creation of automotive vehicles until you hit late 2000s was great for 1 thing. The most reliable cars ever made. Then things started going downhill. Makes me really sad because I cant buy too new of a Honda or Itll be just as unreliable as anything else.

I am amazed by how many gen1s are still out there. Sadly not very comfortable for me to drive (gen2 is just barely) or I would buy one to go nuts on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
515 Posts
Lol I was just looking it up when I realized we have the owners manual here already 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah I didn't think I had them. Even though I have painted mirrors now those are off a donor car. Oh well. To find a 2000 crv with 125k on it for as cheap as I got mine, ill take it just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I've camped with the camping seats, and on a sleeping pad in back with the seats folded forward. Honestly, I prefer sleeping in the back with the seats folded forward.

The camping seats are better if you're too tall to fit in the back, but the load floor with the seats folded forward is flatter, and picking out your own sleeping mat allows you to pick to firmness that you're most comfortable with, rather than being stuck with what the seat cushions happen to be.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
515 Posts
I've camped with the camping seats, and on a sleeping pad in back with the seats folded forward. Honestly, I prefer sleeping in the back with the seats folded forward.

The camping seats are better if you're too tall to fit in the back, but the load floor with the seats folded forward is flatter, and picking out your own sleeping mat allows you to pick to firmness that you're most comfortable with, rather than being stuck with what the seat cushions happen to be.
I didn't even know that was a thing. Neither did a few other techs that drive 1st gens. Everyone like 😯😯😯😯!! None of us have have had to deal with those being a problem so we just didn't know. Most agree if we had gotten an ro with a camper sleep complaint we would have all thought the customer was crazy. 🤣😂🤣

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Most agree if we had gotten an ro with a camper sleep complaint we would have all thought the customer was crazy.
Lol. Yeah, nobody knows about those. I'm one of those wierdos who reads owners manuals, and I saw that and was is like WOT!!!

Anyway, I'm lucky I helped my ex get her car first, because if I hadn't read her owner's manual, I wouldn't have known what to look for when shopping for my car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts