Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just upgraded my 2012 CRV EX-L for a 2016 CRV EX-L...so how do I play my music thru the car speakers cause in my 2012 I had a AUX input but I don't see one on the 2016, I only see a HDMI port and USB can somebody help me... Thanks

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yep, no aux input on the 15's and 16's. You have two USB ports. Put your tunes on flash drives. Works super! I set the controls for playing random. You choose which one of the USB ports to use, one at a time of course. Set it up how you want it to play.

·
Registered
381 Posts
or connect via bluetooth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But the thing is I don't have music on my phone...but if I do connect thru Bluetooth can I still play music from YouTube??

·
Registered
381 Posts
As JasonC said,

Anything you would normally hear from your phone will be re directed (via bluetooth) to the car's audio system, as long as they are synched and you have BT selected as the source.

Youtube will eat your monthly bandwidth allowance from the phone carrier quickly, however. (overage $$$) You won't have the advantage of using wifi while on the road.

It'll play your mp3 files, too, if they're stored on the phone. In fact, I hear the lone (samsung demo) mp3, ever time i connect bluetooth.

You can also burn a cd or dvd with your MP3 songs, and play from that. If you use a (10 cent) burned CD, it'll hold about 175 songs. a DVD-R will hold about 1000 songs, a DVD9 type will hold about 2000 songs.
It will also work with an Apple Iphone or other MP3 player plugged into USB.
Personally, I prefer using flash drives plugged into USB. I have a 64GB flash drive for my music, which in theory should be able to hold about 7400 songs :) The flash drive was $14.

·
Registered
141 Posts
But the thing is I don't have music on my phone...but if I do connect thru Bluetooth can I still play music from YouTube??
Yes. If phone is connected via BT, then the sound will play through your car speakers. It can be YouTube or any other application on your phone that outputs audio.

But again, I’ll add that using YouTube to play music in the car isn’t the best.
It’ll eat up all your mobile bandwidth and possibly leading to extra charges on your monthly bill if you don’t have an unlimited plan.
Even if you do have an unlimited plan, you’ll probably be subjected to throttling.
And it’s highly likely that you’ll experience lots of lags and pauses in audio since your phone will be moving between cell towers and into and out of areas of poor coverage.

If you’re going to play music with BT through your phone, either have the music stored locally. Or use a proper music subscription app (iTunes, Google Play Music, Spotify, etc).

·
Registered
252 Posts
^ Depends on where you live. Even in rural VT there are a few towns where Comcast Xfinity wifi hotspots are sufficiently populated and available free to residential subscribers... I have to think that in "proper" urban areas this is even moreso. I've never personally associated YouTube with streaming audio but apparently it is quite popular and my wife uses it in the car driving around town (though I cautioned her about switching to locally stored media when she leaves the area). I understand YouTube has a brand new streaming app that appears quite good.

I prefer to pick my own album or playlist and have put my tunes on a flash drive (I even got the album art to work, though it's not as impressive as I thought it'd be).

But back to the OP, Bluetooth works fine for music and is handy because there are no wires to connect - it basically just redirects audio from the speaker/headset jack to the car stereo, but you need to control play/stop etc from the phone. No experience with Android devices, but iPhones can also plug into the usb cord and you can select songs and control playback from the stereo head unit in the car. It's kind of personal preference whatever you like best, both methods allow music to be played. Not certain about other models, but the usb jack in our '15 Pilot seems to lack good charging current ability so we tend to use an aftermarket charger and connect via BT for audio.

·
Registered
141 Posts
But back to the OP, Bluetooth works fine for music and is handy because there are no wires to connect - it basically just redirects audio from the speaker/headset jack to the car stereo, but you need to control play/stop etc from the phone
Not true. Audio controls on steering wheel and the touchscreen still work if you connect via BT to play music.

No experience with Android devices, but iPhones can also plug into the usb cord and you can select songs and control playback from the stereo head unit in the car.
Doesn’t work for Android devices. Seems to be an iOS-only thing.

Not certain about other models, but the usb jack in our '15 Pilot seems to lack good charging current ability so we tend to use an aftermarket charger and connect via BT for audio.
Same on the CRV (and most other cars I presume).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not true. Audio controls on steering wheel and the touchscreen still work if you connect via BT to play music.
Ahh, yes I was incorrect there. Was thinking about random selection, not playback control. Thank you for pointing that out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts