Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2005 (I checked via the VIN but im not quite sure on the year) Honda CRV and I’m trying to wire a backup camera (Auto-Vox M6) to the reverse light of the CRV. Can anyone tell me where the cord I’m looking for is?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you need a wiring schematic to be able to do such things. The manual at the autopart store should include it as it's not just a single wire out in the open. It's part of the vehicles wiring harness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Being that it’s wireless and doesn’t appear to have any wiring that goes to the front, I would grab the reverse feed from the harness near the tail lights. Probably on the passenger side, assuming you are mounting it outside. You can run the wire in with the tag lights and through the door seal for the wiring harness on the passenger side of the tailgate. You’ll be looking for a green/black (green with black trace) wire in the harness behind the trim panel where the jack is kept.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had the connection done at a car electric workshop on my Gen 3 CR-V (they did another job also), but I did it myself on my earlier Gen 2 CR-V: With special connection clips you connect the camera's wires to the wires just under the holder for the reverse light bulb. I do not think it matters if it is the right or left bulb. No inside trim panel removal, I think - there should be some small spaces (at D below?) to thread the thin camera wire to the inside of the rear window where I mounted it, mounting the cable with tape. Unlike on Gen 2, the two (three?) wires to the bulb had the same color, so I left it to the electrician to determine how to connect.

Auto part Diagram Line Line art Automotive window part

The conection between the camera and the "TV" screen is another matter - it can be wireless, or with a wire inside the car if wireless is prone to disturbances.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you poke a wire through that tail light grommet, you will have to take the inside trim panel off. You will be better off making your splice inside anyway. It will be out of the weather. And don’t use those vampire connectors unless you like causing yourself problems. Use a good butt connector or solder and heat shrink.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The wire from the brakelight comes out here (Picture) on its way to the camera mounted at the top of the inside rear window. I do not know how the workshop got the wire into that position :

Wheel Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yours is newer and not the same as thatbrud’s

·
Registered
753 Posts
Right, picture is of my 2010 CR-V, I do not remember how the wire was threaded to the inside on my 2005 CR-V, except that the connection ("vampire") was to the wires of the backlight bulb, and I had the camera inside the rear window.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I mean, you might be able to fish it from behind the light and over the door seal, unless you poked it through the boot that goes between the door and body from the outside. That is just inviting leaks in my opinion.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I did similar 3rd party backup camera install on one of my previous vehicles. Not the same as CRV but same approach.

For Camera's "always live" feed, connect to 12V "+" accessory side - like aux outlet "+" wire. This will allow the camera to be on/off when vehicle's key = ON. For its rear camera eye, I then feed a 12 volt / 12 gauge wire from rear to front of vehicle via using a steel fish wire. Luckily, I was able to feed along the roof liner - just above each side doors. For this Camera's "trigger" wire (feed through the roof liner), I was able to "T" connect to vehicle's reverse wire. For this task, simply remove its tail light assembly, remove its internal interior plastic and trace the color of wires (going into the light assembly). And. before "T" connecting, use 12 Volt wire tester to confirm. For better weather exposure protection, make the "T" connection inside the vehicle. Confirm you found the correct "R" wire (to trigger enable the camera dispay) using a 12 Volt Needle point tester. Its a pain to trace and confirm rear end wiring leads (for proper "R" wire) but in the end, its worth it. I'm sure U-Tube might have a few DIY video clips in this wire tracing / wire install areas as well.

Note: I found best to draw a simple diagram (of it wiring). Then, install wiring where needed.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I did on my 2005 Honda CRV was to tap into the reverse wire located just above the fuse panel under the passenger side dash (a green-black wire) and connect that via a spare 7.5A fuse to the backup camera's + power supply wire and to the reverse-sensing wire on the video cable (with the other end of the video cable reverse-sensing wire connected to my aftermarket head unit). Now whenever I put the CRV in reverse, the HU switches to the backup camera feed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts