Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........an image in a post? Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Post a link to the item you want to delete.

If you haven't run out of Editing time, go to the ADVANCED edit mode and MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Click on the attachment and REMOVE.

If too much time has elapsed, you can't edit verbiage or pictures. A Moderator can do it for ya.

I don't know about rocky, but my services don't come cheap, LOL. :xmas:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys........worked perfect.:doublethumb:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
This has been a bone of contention with me on several other forums recently, mostly since the Photobucket fiasco, which rendered years of otherwise good reference material on forums worthless when pictures were no longer able to be seen, and forums had the edit limit switch turned on. First, there is no valid reason to have a time limit on the edit function. None whatever. There may have been back in the days before broadband, but those days are long gone. Second, having the limit in place prohibits everyone from being able to update their old Photobucket image placeholders with the actual image, thus renewing the reference value of any post. IMO this one thing has rendered 80% or more of all forum information useless, this one included. So I would ask you mods to kick upstairs a request to remove that limit permanently. It will hurt absolutely nothing, has no negative affect whatsoever, and will allow folks to go back and replace non-viewable images with ones that work. We did this recently on OWWM and it worked out beautifully, as 90% of many years of valuable reference material has now been restored. It would be a shame to see this forum continue to lag behind the times on this. I've already run into a lot of this here in just the couple of months I've been here, and it's very frustrating, especially considering it's completely unnecessary.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
All of them. They 'broke' the ability to link to people's pictures unless you paid.

I heard they allowed it months later, but it was too late for me, I no longer use PhotoBucket.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
For many years Photobucket was a good place to store pictures, especially ones you needed to link to in order to post them on forums that did not have the server capacity or bandwidth to support their own in-house image storage. Then Photobucket had an event where some new folks took over the reins and decided they were missing out on a lot of revenue with free hosting, so, all of a sudden one day, they simply turned it off, and instituted a new plan structure for paid-only hosting, and the cheapest plan was $400 a year. Aargh! Then they gradually shut down all free links so that any images you had on forums displayed only a marker telling you to go buy a plan. They may have later backpedaled on that, I don't know, nor do I care. I thought it was rude behavior on their part, and unrealistic. Luckily, my main forum, OWWM.org, stepped up and made available direct image posting/hosting, which allows you to post the image directly to their server and is permanent. Having been a member there for long years, I had to go back in and replace over 3,000 images by first figuring out what image went in each spot (since the links were now broken - more rudeness) and then re-uploading each image from my computer. The process took a huge amount of time and was very tedious. Eventually I developed a more efficient system and was able to go quickly. Other folks there were not so lucky. Many did not have all those old images still on their computers at home, and had to try to download them back onto their computers from Pb's website, which Pb actively thwarted every way they could (even more rudeness), and then too a lot of folks don't have the fast internet I have, so they struggled, and some gave up. Much valuable reference material not available anywhere else was lost. Luckily, many persevered and got it done, and so now the majority of it is now restored, but not all of it. The same is true on many, many forums, and you can easily see this just about any time you Google something and find an answer that is on a forum, then go to the link and find the information is worthless without being able to see the pictures.

So, thanks a lot, Photobucket, for rendering a large percentage of reference material literally worthless on the entire internet. Of course, their plan did not make them rich overnight, and they lost most of their business, so at this point it's hard to say if they will survive their stupidity or not. I doubt it. Meanwhile, I'd go so far as to say that probably 85% or more of the images on this forum are broken for this reason, and will likely not be repaired, so most of that material no longer has any value as reference. The same is true to some extent on every forum on the planet. And so, if you consider that the main reason for the existence of any forum is as a place for those with common interests to go and share data for reference purposes, thereby helping each other out, the magnitude of the Photobucket fiasco becomes a major disaster. How they have escaped a lynch mob thus far certainly eludes me. I do know there is a back-current/undertow there now, but it doesn't seem enough to me. I think they should be publicly drawn, quartered, and keelhauled, tarred and feathered, rode out of town on a rail, crucified upside down, and heads put on spikes.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
All that having been said, I'd still like to reiterate my request for the showrunners here to remove the time limit on the edit function and make it available permanently on all posts. I can't think of a single reason this would hurt anything, and there are good reasons for doing so. It would allow updating and correcting information and images, replacing Photobucket images and other bad or lost links, adding additional material newly available, etc., thereby making said reference material as good and accurate as it can be made by its posters, no matter how old. There are many positive reasons and no negative ones that I know of. So, how about it? Please? Consider this an official request. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Well, from past experience on a forum I think an unlimited time setting to edit previous posts is a bad thing.

I was an administrator of another forum that had the edit time set to unlimited.
One of the long time members had a disagreement with another member and decided to leave the forum.
But before he left he decided to remove all of his posts. He couldn't delete the posts, but he went back and edited all of them to remove what he had posted, which destroyed the continuity of all the message threads he had posted in.

So I am against having an unlimited time to edit prior posts.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am new to the forum, only 3 posts so far. I don't seem to have the ability to edit a post at all or do other tasks like post links or pictures. I have read the forum rules and the FAQs and I was unable to find answers. My old age may be at fault. Do I need a certain number of posts to be able to edit at all or to post links or pictures? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
I am new to the forum, only 3 posts so far. I don't seem to have the ability to edit a post at all or do other tasks like post links or pictures. I have read the forum rules and the FAQs and I was unable to find answers. My old age may be at fault. Do I need a certain number of posts to be able to edit at all or to post links or pictures? Any help appreciated.
Five posts before you gain link privileges etc. editing posts can be done until the time expires to edit.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Well, from past experience on a forum I think an unlimited time setting to edit previous posts is a bad thing.

I was an administrator of another forum that had the edit time set to unlimited.
One of the long time members had a disagreement with another member and decided to leave the forum.
But before he left he decided to remove all of his posts. He couldn't delete the posts, but he went back and edited all of them to remove what he had posted, which destroyed the continuity of all the message threads he had posted in.

So I am against having an unlimited time to edit prior posts.

I understand, but that is one isolated incident on one forum. So, you don't think the Photobucket fiasco, which has destroyed the continuity of 95% of all forum threads everywhere that had image links is enough to offset that one incident? I disagree. So I say again, please escalate my request to have the edit function turned on permanently up the ladder to the responsible adults. In fact, I insist. All anyone here needs to know to take my side on this issue is readily apparent. Just browse this forum and see for yourself that most of the image links are broken, rendering a great majority of the reference value ever posted here worthless. One possibility would be to enable an unlimited editing clock for images only. This would give the core of active members here the opportunity to go back and repost those images and fix their posts to make their reference contributions valid and useful again.

Of course, all of that would be pointless if you don't fix the current and ongoing image-posting problems. Which, as I see, are still there for how long now? A year? Geez. Some features seem to be repaired now, but most are not. Failure to keep up with these issues is killing interest in this forum, I can see it and I've only been here a short time. If I don't see some actual action soon I will have to assume that the forum-runners here just don't care, and that would be a shame. Maybe those people need to be replaced if they can't do better. What about that?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
The limited time in which to edit a post is good and not going to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts