Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told myself I would NEVER own another black vehicle again. Well, when you buy used you cant be to picky. Nothing looks better than a black car, but it is so hard to keep clean. I was hoping that all Black CRV owners would chime in and tell us what you do (wax type, polish, technique, etc.) to keep that truck looking new. I think the most important thing we would all like to know is how to get rid of the dreaded swirl marks or cob-webbing that is so evident when the sun shines on our ride.

Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
806 Posts
I have a black one. I will be doing a complete detail on mine next week as the winter has trashed it. I will probably do it again in the spring after winter is done too. I just can't stand to leave it until then.

I will do a strip wash, followed up with a clay bar, then polish, and then top it with a sealant. As far as your swirl marks you need a polisher to be effective. I have 3 polishers and a 4th one ordered that will be released towards the end of March. And will probably pickup a Rupes mini this summer sometime.

I use Adams products and my car never sees a car wash. I hand wash all of my vehicles using doing a 2 bucket wash.

Post #38 is my door.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing much research last night I found a product called Zaino. The Zaino Products are applied by hand, no electric polisher needed. Their website is not that user friendly, so I really can not tell what products I need to purchase. If anyone here uses Zaino, I would appreciate some help. I have also heard good things about the Chemical Guy Products.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Anything can be applied by hand. It just won't be effective in removing swirl marks. If it does claim to remove them, they are using a filler to fill them in. Which in turn will eventually wash away.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Do you know of any good polishers for under $100.00?
I'm a tool junkie and am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. This one is slightly more than your $100 price range, but is a good start. A lot, including myself had this as a first polisher. I still use it from time to time. I do however have other polishers that correct faster, and operate smoother that are my go to tools. I don't detail for a living, but enjoy doing it.

I learned early on that I would end up buying the tool that I wish I had purchased in the beginning. In essence spending more money by buying what I thought would suffice. And then buying what I should have to begin with.

The other thing to remember too is that there are different pads for different levels of correction. And you may need a different backing plate than what comes with the tool. Lots of good Forums out there when it comes to detailing. I like the Adams products for the fact that they are super easy to use, results are stellar, and everything is color coordinated. White pad, white polish for example.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nighthawk Black Pearl owner here. Previous owner had a wash parent plan at Splash car wash before I bought the car in March and from this being my first black car I also wanted to always keep it looking it's best. First thing I did was wash and clay the car. After getting all the muk out I used Meguires swirl remover followed by Meguires show car glaze, polish and sealed everything with chemical guys Jetseal. Buffed the sealant off and waxed the car the next day. A couple hours after the waxing I followed up with chemical guys hybrid V7 detailer and let me tell you, it wasn't until the sun hit the car that I found out what the "pearl" in the paintjob was LOL! It'll be a year that I've owned this car and the car looks like it did that very same day. I'll take some pictures of the products in the morning but here's a list of things *I* did in order to always make the car keep it's shine-

Wash and wax once a month followed by CG hybrid v7 the NEXT day to give an extra pop of shine (about an hour or so job)

Used hybrid v7 once a week to help remove light dust (could also buy a large duster from CG to do this) (5-10minutes)

Used Turtle Wax Ice spray wax every 2 weeks to help build up layers between washes (10minutes)

Washed and waxed the car again every 1-3 days before AND after any "snowfall" forecast to protect/restore the paint (1-2 hour job depending on the weather)

Attachments

·
Banned
806 Posts
Glaze's have fillers in them and will eventually wash away. I haven't waxed my car since last summer and the water still beads on it. The swirling I have is due to the snow. The thing to remember is that if you wax too much, your finish will eventually cloud up and need to be stripped. I will be doing a complete detail on my car next week and will be happy to post products used as well as results. A complete polish and detail can take a full day or more.

A sealant will last longer and add more protection than a wax.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quick pic of everything's that's worked for *me* at least in helping keep the black on my Crv always looking clean and sharp. I am by no means a professional but after trying so many other products out there these have always given me the results *I've* been after. Hope they help

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
My 10-year-old V is dark blue. It has very little swirling. Passers-by always comment that the paint looks like new.

I hand-wash my vehicles (NEVER an automatic car wash). The secret to avoiding swirls is to NEVER press down! Paint is SOFT!

Only use a light hand pressure when washing, drying, claying, or waxing.

I clay-bar my cars a couple times a year, and I minimize the need to wash by using a wax-as-you-dry product every month or so. The water beads rinse the dirt off...

·
Registered
57 Posts
To be honest its really a challenge to maintain such flawless shine with a black car. Before i applied Optimum opticoat. I have to polish and seal it 4 times a year.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very beautiful CR-V you have there 05CRVEX! I like that front bumper lip!

From my experience with a 2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster in Magnetic Black, I've used Turtle Ice products in between waxes with Zymol. Only way I kept that 350z glossy black is to constantly give it that wax on wax off love... (almost ocd)

350Z04102006003.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before knowing and using what I do now, I used mostly all Meguiars products for my paint Correction and Paint Protection.

It would be a great Idea to check out autogeek .com. This right now, is the Center of the Auto Detailing Universe. Any and Every single possible question you could ever even think of having, in regards to Auto Care and Protection in on there along with the answers.

First you want to assess your paints condition. You do this by washing the exterior of your car. Then if you feel any graininess, or anything to make your paint feel NO SMOOTH, you would then go ahead and clay your vehicle to remove any surface contamination that has been left after the washing.

After this, comes the inspection. You want to check your paint for any swirls and scratches. You know what, I can save a lot of writing by just suggesting you try the site out. It has everything you need to know, plus every one of the top quality products out there.

You can't go wrong with starting out with Meguiars. They have Great Correction and Protection products. Just this year, I have stepped it up a notch to WOLFGANG CONCOURS SERIES products. Wolfgang is a Top Tier product and it's reviews prove it.

#1 tip to keeping that black paint nice. No longer put your vehicle through those car washes that have those roller brushes, or anything that touches your paint at all. Those brushes are wacking your paint with who knows what kind of small particles. Swirls come from that kind of stuff.

Have a goodn and good luck!

Ray

·
Registered
114 Posts
Zaino.

Ebony 2002 Ford Ranger - bought Oct 2001 - sold Feb 2011 with 336k on the odo.

Royal Blue Pearl 2009 Honda Civic - bought Dec 2009 - still my DD, has 82k on the odo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have a Crystal Black Pearl CRV and it's hard to keep it clean as a daily driver in Minneapolis. I do swear by Optimum No Rinse car wash - i have a 5 gallon bucket of the mixed up solution with a bunch of clean microfiber towels inside and always have it in the garage for a quick wipedown.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very beautiful CR-V you have there 05CRVEX! I like that front bumper lip!

From my experience with a 2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster in Magnetic Black, I've used Turtle Ice products in between waxes with Zymol. Only way I kept that 350z glossy black is to constantly give it that wax on wax off love... (almost ocd)

View attachment 60642
Pretty sleek looking finish you have there... Can you post some sun reflection shots?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice looking vehicles !! Out here in the sticks, you finish drying a car and the part you dried first is gathering dust already !! Craig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts