Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm a car maintenance newbie. I have a 1999 Honda CRV and am attempting to replace the front wiper motor. I managed to get the upper cowl clips--the ones you can see with the hood closed--off, but the lower ones are defeating me. I saw one AutoZone Repair Guide that says to use two small screw drivers to pry these lower clips up. I also tried pinching them from the bottom and pushing them up through the hole. I am not having any success. Suggestions?

This is what the clips look like:
Honda CRV cowl lower fastener.jpg

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
806 Posts
With this tool. You may or may not break one. Without the tool, you will most likely break them all.

You may be able to get the tool at a local auto parts store too.

That tool is worth every penny and I use it all the time and have never broke a clip since buying one.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for that link downunder47, that tool should work better as it applies pressure down as well as pulling force up.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I bought these after I broke most of the pins on one panel while trying to use a screwdriver. Haven't needed to use them yet, so no idea how well they work.
I have a pair of those too, and they don't work near as well as the one I linked above. Instead of lifting the whole bottom of the pin surface at once, those just lift in two spots and deform the pins at times in those spots. If that makes sense.

IMG_1392.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts