Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought two 8' kayaks. They fit in the car with the seats down diagonally but stick out the back about 1 1/2 feet. I tried to tie down the trunk ?hatch??? don't know what you call it - but there aren't any holes or hooks to put a rope through. What do I do? Any suggestions? Don't want the expense of putting on a roof rack, etc.

Thank you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I suggest you get the rack, sticking out a foot and a half, and sticking into the dash is not safe. Even if you do find a way to tie the hatch the exhaust gas will enter the car when driving.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I suppose you could tie a rope to something solid inside the CRV and run that rope over the top of the hatch and then down to the bottom of it and onto something solid inside the CRV.
Yes, fumes will likely be sucked in. If you do drive that way, keep the air on 'outside' and the fan on Max to minimize it. Dangerous, sure could be. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hook a bungee in the...

Bought two 8' kayaks. They fit in the car with the seats down diagonally but stick out the back about 1 1/2 feet. I tried to tie down the trunk ?hatch??? don't know what you call it - but there aren't any holes or hooks to put a rope through. What do I do? Any suggestions? Don't want the expense of putting on a roof rack, etc. Thank you.
There is an access hole to open the Tailgate manually from the inside which is convenient to hook a bungee or rope into and tie it into the rear tow hook under the rear bumper on 2007-12 and probably on later models. Instructions from a 2012 Owners Manual below:

2012TailgateLatchAccess.jpg

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You could hook a bungee cord to the rear wiper. And yes more importantly like mentioned above, you must have your fan on, because the exhaust fumes do come in the car. Thankfully there is no room for rear passengers.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would fabricate a hook that is the same size in diameter as the latch hook that the hatch latches with when closed.(First picture)

You can put it into the latch on the gate causing it to lock on to it. (Second picture)
Then run a rope thru that hook and the one down by the bumper or use the one the hatch uses.
You might be able to find a caribiner that is the proper size to catch in the latch on the hatch.

I'd use a motorcycle tie down strap myself as they are sure to hold and easy to release.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts