Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the adaptive cruise so far. I wonder if you think it has any impact, good or bad, on the gas mileage? It seems a little herky-jerky sometimes the way it applies the gas and brakes- but on the other hand, when traffic is flowing pretty well, it's a lot smoother than I would be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't use it at low speed. My try out stopped and started more abruptly than I do which is not good for mileage. Can see its use on long commutes though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
should only use on open highway anyway...so MPG question is moot in my view

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used it on the highway as well as the lane departure Easter on our trip to the shore and its as close to a self driving car that I have ever been in. Amazing actually. I drvove at 65 mph without touching the brake/gas or wheel and it stayed in the lane just fine :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just completed a 1300 mile round trip on my new EX-L from Washington DC to Hilton Head Island and return. Net Net, using ACC and LKAS the entire trip and setting the ACC for 70 mph most of the trip I was averaging 36mpg. Very impressive!!! I never did use the ECON or sport mode. I just stayed in the right lane most of the time and let car drive itself. Very relaxing. I am now learning how to drive differently. No longer do I want to stay in the fast lane and concentrate on speed, much better to stay in the slow lane (and its really not that slow on I95 ) and just let the car drive itself. I also drove through a good hard thunderstorm and discovered that LKAS disables itself when you turn the wipers on anything BUT intermittent. If you leave the wipers on intermittent, the LKAS will keep working, even at night, and even when its raining! Very cool technology. The more I use it, the more I like it!

I had 450 miles on my CRV before the trip, I now have 1750 on it. Just checked the oil, did not burn a drop best I can tell, and it still looks clean. All is good! And well broken in! lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really like the adaptive cruise so far. I wonder if you think it has any impact, good or bad, on the gas mileage? It seems a little herky-jerky sometimes the way it applies the gas and brakes- but on the other hand, when traffic is flowing pretty well, it's a lot smoother than I would be.
I use it everyday in interstate highways mainly and love it - fuel economy is higher with ACC and i notice it tries to maintain above 40 on that real time mpg meter.

Note : I am still on first gas tank.

2017 CRV EXL - real time mpg meter.jpg

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I really like the adaptive cruise but.... here where I live there is little flat ground. In the hills I find I can get better mileage driving myself. I think its due to the fact that I let "free" speed build up going down the hills but then I lighten up and let that extra speed bleed off slowly going up the hill. Cruise controls will just hold the speed the same going up or down a hill. We humans with a brain can do better at some things! On flat ground however up north of here the cruise mileage is the same as mine, no hills to mess it up.

And yes, this car will nearly drive itself and I love it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used it on the highway as well as the lane departure Easter on our trip to the shore and its as close to a self driving car that I have ever been in. Amazing actually. I drvove at 65 mph without touching the brake/gas or wheel and it stayed in the lane just fine :)
I use it a lot on highways- however my touring model asks me to hold my hand on steering wheel and give it slight force to show I am in control- if not steering wheel disabled message pop's up and auto steer does not work.
No way mine lets me drive 65mph without touch wheel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the ACC apply the brake when going downhill to prevent from exceeding the set speed? My CR-V EXL continues to accelerate and i must use the brake to slow down. Is there something I am not doing?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you following somebody--closing the gap on someone--down the hill? If not, I think it may play with the CVT/throttle, but I do not believe it will use the brakes. This is how all other CCs, before ACC, have worked forever.

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
It lacks the anticipation that us humans can apply which is crucial for max mpg .
EG: See red lights on the highway a mile away? Cancel cruise and coast. Great for mpg.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use it a lot on highways- however my touring model asks me to hold my hand on steering wheel and give it slight force to show I am in control- if not steering wheel disabled message pop's up and auto steer does not work.
No way mine lets me drive 65mph without touch wheel.
I think he is saying he drove at a speed of 65mph and not for 65 miles without touching the steering wheel

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use it all the time. On the highway, it keeps me a safe distance from the vehicle in front, and in town, it's a blessing in low speed stop-and-go driving.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you following somebody--closing the gap on someone--down the hill? If not, I think it may play with the CVT/throttle, but I do not believe it will use the brakes. This is how all other CCs, before ACC, have worked forever.
My last few cars including a 2013 RDX would downshift the transmission to try to maintain the desired speed. No braking though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts