Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please discuss how your new 2017 CRV drives on the interstate with high cross winds.

We are planning on purchasing a new CRV in the next few months, but yesterday we drove 250 miles on I55 in Arkansas with constant high crosswinds in our Titan pickup.

Driving 70 mph in the truck required constant corrections. Our thought is the new CRV is so aerodynamic that it is easier to drive in a crosswind.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
231 Posts
The aerodynamics of a vehicle are optimized for forward movement not to the side, not to mention regardless of the aerodynamics heavy crosswinds can push vehicles right off the road. The weight of and height of a vehicle is a greater determinant in how it handles in crosswinds than aerodynamics. The heavier and lower the vehicle the greater the ability for it to handle crosswinds.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Suspension, steering, and alignment tuning can also affect straight line tracking/stability and driver confidence. So far, the few times crossing a long bridge with moderate cross winds, the CR-V felt stable and easy to control.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just drove from Chicago to Minneapolis yesterday. It has been very windy in the Midwest the past couple of days. Overall the CRV did great with handling (however the wind did take a toll on my MPG).

The best feature of Lane Keep Assist is really wind assistance. It holds the car steady or brings back to center on those big gusts. Its especially great when going over bridges.

Get the CRV. It's a wonderful car. I've had mine since new year's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Affects of cross wind depends on surface size on the side of your vehicle, not the aerodynamic design. Cross wind would have the same affect on any other suv of comparable size. The weight of the vehicle would be the big factor (think VW bus).

·
Registered
219 Posts
No matter what vehicle you are driving, crosswinds simply require more driver input.

That being said, my CR-V has been quite well behaved in crosswinds. I've also noticed that when you're passing or being passed by very large vehicles, such as semis and buses, the CR-V doesn't seem to get blown over much if at all when entering their air stream.

I think that you'll be quite pleased with its driving characteristics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts