Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How far can they go? How long is your road? Existentially, if you make it to the end, it won't matter any more anyway. :cool: Besides, the road goes on forever and the party never ends. Or so I've heard.

My son has his mom's old accord sitting in his garage with 408k on it. It still runs but would not be financially feasible to put back on the road any more. It needs to go bye bye, but she is quite attached to it. Still, if you got one that was not built on a hangover Monday or a holiday Friday, and you take good care of it, it will likely take you a ways. My '07 is my retirement car, and I plan for it to be my last vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
If maintained properly and not kept in a wintry state where a lot of road salt is applied, you can get a very long life out of it. My old CR-V is no longer on the road (waiting for this virus thing to pass before dealing with it), but I did get about 290k miles out of it. Rust is what makes it almost impossible to repair anymore, which is why I haven't bothered fixing it up to resell.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
IMO how long the Vs goes, or any vehicle for that matter, dependent on you willing to maintain and repair them. At some point the repair and maintenance outweigh the car value.
I hope mine will go 500k+ (139k currently) with all the maintenance and work that I've put into it. With all the new cars nowaday with so much electronic nannies, it great to have a car that easy to work on without having to bring to the dealer for even the simplest things.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
The answers are correct - and the truthfully luck plays a large role in the total amount of mileage a person can get on a vehicle.

When you buy a Toyota or a Honda you are increasing yours odds of making it to a higher mileage without major problems - but it is NEVER any sort of guarantee. I had a F150 that ran 100k miles trouble free, it was an awesome vehicle. I had a Toyota Camry was maintained better than the Ford and caused me a great deal of headaches. You never can be absolutely assured of the end result.

Time is also very hard on a vehicle, equal to if not worse than mileage. The good news is these vehicles (CR-V Gen 3) are pretty simplistic by modern day standards with real gears in the transmission, no turbo and minimal computers and drivers aids. While many of these technologies are becoming more reliable they add complexity, cost and are certainly another issue to deal with as a vehicle ages.

Keep up with your maintenance and so long as it doesnt rust out 20 years or 200k miles should be a reasonable goal.

We also have a 2019 and intentionally purchased it with the 2.4l non turbo motor as I wanted to keep it as simple and reliable as possible. I believe little issues will come up but we will take care of them and I expect that to run for 12 years 200k without issue.

I am in Texas, we have pretty much no rust so its really just the heat and the mileage that will get you here.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
641 Posts
How many miles do you have on your CRV? I read they can go up to 400k if taken care of.
Have you checked out the 2007 CR-V on YouTube that has reached 1,000,000 miles? It is a white CR-V named Lorraine. Just amazing! He hasn't done much for maintenance, just routine.

Sorry, I can't get the link over here.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
From what I read, with the stock internals, CR-Vs can last a very long time -- more so than most other brands (Toyota is really good as well) -- depending on how well you maintain them. Maintenance is key... for everything, really. I've seen Ford EcoBoost F-150s going 400,000 miles on the stock engine, transmission, and 4WD system -- with only routine maintenance and parts -- which is saying a lot for Ford. Hondas, specifically, the Civic and CR-V, are world renowned for long term reliability -- and Honda really tunes these things down in order to achieve that. Honda engines are capable of so much more, but Honda decides to keep things very conservative in order for long term reliability. So how far can you go, pretty far!

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
529 Posts
I'd say they'll go 200k, mixed use, without much effort. 300-400 ahould be easily attained, although you would likely have some major (alternator, brake master cylinder/booster, that sort of stuff) repair beyond maintenance. But yea, all highway, meticulous care, clean environment, could have them going really far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like all things mechanical, look after them and they will have a long life. My last CRV - 2001 had reached near on 500K and was still as reliable as ever. The only problems being the door locks being intermittent in fob operation and a very slight weep on the crankshaft front seal..

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter just acquired an '07 with 210K miles. I'm going to start baselining it, as all I know about the vehicle is it looks brand new inside and out. I'm hoping there is much more life left in this vehicle because it wasn't cheap for the miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless you use the crv for delivery service or taxi it's very difficult to rake up these high miles ... I come across guys who drive 10k miles a year and want a car that last 400k miles. Simple math tells me you ain't buying a car you are buying a coffin. Crv is very reliable I have a 2012 owned for 7 yrs now and rock solid at 102k

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 2wd White / 2003 Suzuki XL_7 Limited 4x4
144 Posts
Most vehicle mechanicals are reliable enough these days that the question is really, "How long will this car last?" not how many miles will it go? I tend to try to get my vehicles to last until they are 18 - 20 years old. If I can do that in salty Southern Ontario, I think I've done ok. The Suzuki is almost 19 now and everything still works, but I can see that the rust will be the end of her in the next year. The CRV is 10, so I am hoping to get another 8 - 10 years out of her. Yes, I do try to keep my vehicles for 10 - 15 years.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,614 Posts
If you take care of the vehicle then it should last
The only caveat is rust. Living in the rust belt and having lost the fight against rust on two vehicles,
I know it can take the the life of the vehicle and shorten it quite quickly.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX AWD
69 Posts
I don't have a CR-V yet - but if I replace my '99 Accord I likely will with a Gen 3. Reading this post is very encouraging. I've had Subarus and Hondas over the years. Some of the posts on the Subaru forums are scary, especially and ironically with engines made in the last 10 years. An inline engine or V6 seems to have much better reliability than a flat 4. I'm certainly aware all vehicle manufactures can have a reputation for one or more defects. One of the most common I see is the air conditioning system in the Gen 3 CR-V. While I realize the repair can be expensive, it's not nearly as bad as a thrown rod.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.