Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began a thread a few days ago entitled, 3 dealer oil changes in 1000 miles. which details my oil dilution problem. After each of the oil changes, the one thing that I kept asking was, "What oil level is too full?" Top of the orange or 1/4 inch up on the metal part of the dipstick, or what? I just wanted to know what is too full so I wouldn't damage the engine. They service managers (who have been great) finally connected to someone at Honda and they told me that Honda couldn't tell them the answer. What? That doesn't make sense to me in the least. Honda wouldn't tell them??? These are Honda service managers. Why is such basic news a secret? Why is there a full mark then on our dipsticks? So my question - Have you asked your service manger what is too full - just wondering if someone knows the answer

·
Registered
579 Posts
I began a thread a few days ago entitled, 3 dealer oil changes in 1000 miles. which details my oil dilution problem. After each of the oil changes, the one thing that I kept asking was, "What oil level is too full?" Top of the orange or 1/4 inch up on the metal part of the dipstick, or what? I just wanted to know what is too full so I wouldn't damage the engine. They service managers (who have been great) finally connected to someone at Honda and they told me that Honda couldn't tell them the answer. What? That doesn't make sense to me in the least. Honda wouldn't tell them??? These are Honda service managers. Why is such basic news a secret? Why is there a full mark then on our dipsticks? So my question - Have you asked your service manger what is too full - just wondering if someone knows the answer
My last oil change at the dealer, oil was 1/4 inch up on the metal right after the change. Go figure.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
My stock answer to this question does not apply to cars :sweat:, and I would probably be banned from this forum and possibly the entire internet if I said it out loud, so I will refrain. But yeah, I think I would also be somewhat non-plussed at not being able to get a straight answer to such a simple basic question. Scary.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
a lot can be said.

·
Registered
599 Posts
In my experience anything above the MAX hole on the Orange Monster is too full.

Because, whenever I have allowed the dealer to overfill above the MAX hole, over time my oil level will continue to rise.

However, whenever I have caused the refill to be lower than the MAX hole, over time my oil level will fluctuate but never get higher than the MAX hole.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Honda's answer probably depends on the worst case scenario - how fast the engine oil rises in the worst conditions and how many miles to the next oil change plus a reasonable safety margin. One could assume the oil dipstick level changes aren't linear so the growth could be more or less dramatic depending upon the shape of the space above the oil sump.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
The best answer to this question is in Post 5.

Owners need to verify and note the level after an oil change. Then assure that it doesn't go over the top of the orange indicator.

IMO you should not let it 'increase' more than the distance between ADD and FILL.

If I had the issue, I'd be taking pictures. That is what we are doing with my sister's 2018 1.5L. (Her oil level has not increased significantly, BTW)

·
Registered
655 Posts
The best answer to this question is in Post 5.

Owners need to verify and note the level after an oil change. Then assure that it doesn't go over the top of the orange indicator.

IMO you should not let it 'increase' more than the distance between ADD and FILL.

If I had the issue, I'd be taking pictures. That is what we are doing with my sister's 2018 1.5L. (Her oil level has not increased significantly, BTW)
Think you meant to say “add and FULL”

·
Registered
533 Posts
I wish some company would put out a normal dipstick with the cross hair pattern in the middle....I have a modified one...pretty easy to read,,,,but before I got it I measured the dipstick and then took the one out of my 2008 and marked length and checked oil.....like day and night difference......with the cross hairs you dead on with the level.....and of course...JMO

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
“Over” the “Full” mark is literally “Overfull”
Correct...but a bit 'over-full' will not hurt the engine (there is always a tolerance). (The OP asked: 'What level is so full that it would damage the engine?')

So, if the indicated level creeps 'way above the orange, you have a concern. But a little bit high won't hurt, as long as you address it. Regular monitoring will fend off problems.

Not applicable to this Honda issue, but when we bring our sports car to the racetrack, we add half a qt over the full indicator to prevent oil starvation on high-G curves. No adverse consequences. (Yeah, I know, I should fabricate a baffled oil pan. :eek: )

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
My thoughts out loud so punish me for saying it. This is a 3.7 qt what is the capacity. i remember the older v had that info lol

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
so that may be your issue going over the cap amount and that you must know

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Only other thing I would suggest is.....since the filter mounts almost vertical, pour some of that 3.7 qts into the filter before screwing it on.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Drain oil, replace filter, add 3.7 qts , run engine, stop engine, wait whatever, check oil level, whatever reads on the dipstick is the full level.
x10. Not sure what's so difficult.

Reason why it's full from dealer, too lazy. They just dump 4 qts in.

Filling up filter prior to install, has no benefits, just a extra pain in the ass and if you loose grip of it when installing you make a huge mess. Starting the engine after an oil change is absolutely no different than starting it after sitting over night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So what you are saying you don't add any oil to your filter at all, just place a light film of oil on the O-Ring and pop it up. Why we add oil into the filter some not full some so that when we start the car the oil is not delayed.

I at times add or don't add I at times take my Oil filter off first then drain my plug second Idid that on the very first video. to show that it makes no difference to the World. Things in Life do change, and yet we still pick on the changes.

FISH

1 - 20 of 61 Posts