Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the CRV's AWD system and its effectiveness in inclement weather. It didn't snow here in WI up until this week but before that a co-worker of mine many years ago commented on the BMW XDrive and said how it was so stable during a snowy long trip he had. I was always intrigued on that so I read up on BMW XDrive and Audi Quattro. I also read up on Subaru AWD system as well. It snowed in my area this week so I had a chance to test out the CRV AWD. So far so good. I found it was more stable than the FWD'ers we have in the slushy snow that was on the road. The downside? Overconfidence. I was going faster than I would normally in such condition and didn't realize it at first. I was in fact driving a bit too fast until I realized how fast it was and the chicken side of me had me slowing down. Never driven other brands AWD so don't really know how good they are but I'm still lusting after BMW XDrive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
AWD or 4WD feels so confident driving forward - but when braking, there's virtually no difference from any other car you've ever driven. :-O It's good to always remember this!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
AWD or 4WD feels so confident driving forward - but when braking, there's virtually no difference from any other car you've ever driven. :-O It's good to always remember this!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
THIS X100!!!

So many think 4wd or AWD stops better like it goes better in the snow and such. BUT IT DOESN'T.

You have the same 4 wheel brakes as if you are 2wd front or rear wheels being driven.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was wondering about the CRV's AWD system and its effectiveness in inclement weather.
The AWD system is good, the factory tires are total crap though. Felt like the car was on ice skates. Replaced them with a full set of Michelin Premier LTX tires. Day and night difference.

·
Registered
962 Posts
"How good is CRV AWD capability?"

How good are your tires?

Buy the best snow tires that are allowed in your state.

In Montana we can have studded tires so we Have Nokian Hakka 8's. I would have a Toyo, Michelin or Nokian studless tire if I were to live in a state that did not allow studs - but NEVER a Blizzak as they have only 55% snow tread...the last 45% is all-season.

Remember to only purchase high quality tires: your life depends upon it.

Now as to the AWD capabilities of the CR-V:

Gen. 1-4 had a very simple AWD system - when the fronts were slipping the rear wheels automatically 'kick-in' without too much electronic/mechanical control (owned a '97, '05 and a '14 CR-V and have first hand knowledge of this). The Gen. 5 has a superior system to all the previous systems...

I have a '07 Ridgeline and it has a good AWD system (you can lock the rear and center diffs with a button) and have had four Pilots: '03, '05,'07 and a '16.

The New Pilots/Ridgeline's have Acura's SH-AWD system and it is FANTASTIC! Alas our '16 Pilot hit a deer and we have a '18 Touring CR-V and I AM very impressed with it's capabilities. I have yet to be uncomfortable in deep snow with it (have two driveways - the long one is 600+ feet with several turns and a 50' climb at the end of it) I can just drive out while in the '07 Ridgeline I sometimes have to lock the diffs to get out.

The fifth Gen. CR-V is not as capable as a super high-end AWD system but I am impressed with it in real life. It works very well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
AWD in general is fantastic for getting yourself into trouble your tires and brakes can't get you out of. I'd say it's a real plus for mud, but can create very dangerous situations for snow and ice unless you really know what you are doing.

If I lived in the Great White North, a set of 4 cheap junkyard steelies with snow tires would totally be in my garage, and not really worry about minor quibbles between different AWD systems. I'm pretty sure they are all close enough to each other that the real difference is your tires more than the precise method the transmission uses.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
AWD in general is fantastic for getting yourself into trouble your tires and brakes can't get you out of. I'd say it's a real plus for mud, but can create very dangerous situations for snow and ice unless you really know what you are doing.

If I lived in the Great White North, a set of 4 cheap junkyard steelies with snow tires would totally be in my garage, and not really worry about minor quibbles between different AWD systems. I'm pretty sure they are all close enough to each other that the real difference is your tires more than the precise method the transmission uses.
AND, as you mentioned in the first paragraph, a driver who knows what they are doing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts