Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda CRVs are known to have A/C issues due to Honda's design mistake and location of A/C placement. Honda should issue a recall and fix this issue but instead Honda opted for a TSB and fix the issue only when A/C fails. They are covering up to 7 years and 100K miles. Honda is saving huge amount of money here as by this route they won't have to fix all the cars and if A/C fails after this extended coverage then they are denying any help. Even within coverage period they are finding reasons to deny fixing the issue. This is a total rip off by Honda. A/C in my car failed last week, my car is less than 100K but more than 7 years old and Honda flatly refused to fix this. My take on this is since this is a design issue, Honda should issue a recall or fix a/c whenever it fails even if its after 10 yrs. A/C in good cars doesn't fail, at the most you might need to recharge but even that I never had to do even in my civic and accord. I was planning to buy a civic but now this long time Honda customer is going to buy a Corolla.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Try another dealer or call Honda USA directly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Who is actually refusing? Is it your dealer or Honda? Do you have a dealer you've regularly been dealing with? Do you have records that your CRV has regularly been serviced? All that becomes important when you want special service.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The AC failed on my 09 on a long trip, went to a local dealer in Blacksburg VA and they replaced it under warranty. I was within the warranty period of 7 years and 100k mileage. The part that was replaced was on "national backorder" but the dealer had on at another location and got this fixed for me in a day. When I went in, I did mentioned that this clutch may be the problem, they confirmed it and did the work. The Clutch set for the compressor is a replaceable part, there is no need to break into the system so not as expensive, lower the compressor, replace the clutch and put back together. CLutch set is 38900-RZA-014, cost is 199.82 list and 155.86 at college hills honda (just for comparison).

I did check for the AC relays and they were working so it was not the easy fix stated in some of the threads.

On my way out of the dealer, there was another CRV that came in with AC problems..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My CRV was always serviced by a Honda dealer even the tire change was done by dealer. I have all service records starting from day 1. When my AC failed, I took it to dealer and he gave me an estimate of $1400. I read about AC issues here and called Honda USA and opened a case with them. Next day a case manager called me and told yes they have a TSB but it covers 7 yrs or 100k miles whichever occurs first. Since my car is 8+ years old they won't be able to help me. Less than 100K miles (85K miles) on my car doesn't matter as it's more than 7 yrs old. My issue is if it's known that AC is failing because of design mistake by Honda then why are they not issuing a recall and waiting for AC to fail and then fix it. If Honda wants to go that route and fix only cars when AC fails then why is there 7 year limit.

I heard there is a class action law suite against Honda for CRV AC issue. Does any one has any information on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jaari, may be Toyota also doesn't have a clean record but my wife drives a corolla and this is her 4th corolla and she never had any issue with it. Only issue she had once was with starter failing in her 1996 corolla in 2004 and that fix was not very costly. We never had to deal with Toyota USA directly, so don't know how there customer service is.

With Honda my other friends also had bad experience so I think it's time to give up on Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 CRV with 80k

I have had to replace the AC unit on my CRV 2x already. The first one was when the car was 8 years old and then at 11 years old. Next time it goes its gone. Honda had a recall/rebate around the time it went, but mine had already been replaced and they didn't honor my mechanics bill.

I also had bought a 2008 Civic hybrid which had all of the lawsuits because they lied to the EPA on MPG. It was supposed to get 50 MPG on the highway. How about more like 38 MPG. I am never buying a Honda again. They lost my business with. My next car will be a Toyota.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts