Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have experience purchasing a fresh new generation car right when it is released. For those who did, is it likely that I will be able to negotiate it to the invoice price?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't have experience purchasing a fresh new generation car right when it is released. For those who did, is it likely that I will be able to negotiate it to the invoice price?
Invoice.:D
General Custer had a better chance at Little Big Horn.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too am looking to purchase a 12 when it comes out, how much would you say I can get off sticker price typically? $500-1000?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I too am looking to purchase a 12 when it comes out, how much would you say I can get off sticker price typically? $500-1000?

I would think those number are very doable after a couple of weeks or even sooner..:)
Probably will depend on the consumer interest on the new CR-V.
I wouldn't pay list price on any vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's been always supply and demand. However, not everybody wants a new 2012 CRV under this economy. Due to the "a/c compressors" fiasco, not all existing CRV owners will want to take another risk after got burned by Honda. (Mr Honda, are you listening? Burning bridges is no-no in the good old USA :mad:)

Dealers will want to push inventory but it all depends on how bad you want it. If they know you really want one, then it will be expensive.

Go to the dealership in a snowy/rainy day or the end of month. You can tell they are desperate to meet the quota.

Also do the internet bidding, let them give you the lowest price before you walk in there. You can always test drive before you buy, walk out anytime you want. It is a free country! :D

·
Registered
845 Posts
So you guys think $1000 under list price is basically impossible the first week and lucky to even get $500?

Not impossible but not very likely.
Especially if the new CR-V gets a lot of showroom traffic and sales.
One good thing is it is coming out later than Honda anticipated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bet you find dealing on a 2012 easier than you think.

This "new" model is only a refresh and hardly anything that will create a huge rush to the dealership.

100ccs more and the same old 5speed Automatic? The Korean automakers would be ashamed to call this model "new for 2012"!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like the old Kenny Rogers song, "every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser" dealing on a new product like this... I am a confessed car shopper who tends to be asked by friends and family to help negotiate car deals...

Be clear (yet polite to the sales mgr despite his tricks to chew you down) that you're going to buy "now" only if the #s are close to published invoice (which leaves plenty or profit for the dealer in terms of "back-end" money), stick to your guns on price and you will be rewarded. Don't linger if the sales mgr won't budge and walk out politely. 1 in 3 will either call you later or walk with you to save the deal but don't hold a grudge if they don't of course. The end of month or rainy winter day tactics can help a few $100. I'd combine that with shopping outside of town or wherever a dealer on the outskirts is trying to "turn to earn" vehicles from Honda. Meaning that the smaller dealers are often trying to show Honda they are more "nimble" than the big dealers at moving product so they can earn more "units" later in the spring when customer traffic in their stores will pick up. This approach worked to the tune of $1500 better than any of the "in town" dealers on a Honda Odyssey for us back in 2000 when we literally bought the van sight unseen because Honda couldn't keep up with demand. My local dealer was more than happy to service the vehicle later so I got the best of both sales and service this way (don't believe the salesman's ploy of saying "if you buy from us, your service costs will be lower). It will cost you some hours to shop this way, but my rate of return was around $150 an hour for my time when we did this and we got the van at roughly 600 over published invoice (including small extras like pinstripe, mats & flaps as I recall). That was a win-win for a product in scarce supply.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I prefer the email route. I emailed approx 20 Honda dealers in the DC area and stated very clearly on what I wanted--OTD price, no phone calls. I negotiated right from the comforts of my home. Even had 1 salesman tell me I was lying on what at the time was my lowest price offered from another dealer. I got a better price that what truecar.com stated was the lowest. Was the best car experience I ever had. No pressure, no extra add ons offered as I was very upfront and stated exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer the email route. I emailed approx 20 Honda dealers in the DC area and stated very clearly on what I wanted--OTD price, no phone calls. I negotiated right from the comforts of my home. Even had 1 salesman tell me I was lying on what at the time was my lowest price offered from another dealer. I got a better price that what truecar.com stated was the lowest. Was the best car experience I ever had. No pressure, no extra add ons offered as I was very upfront and stated exactly what I wanted.

is price from Trucar.com included with sale tax???

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I'm planning on going with the e-mail route as well. If that doesn't work, then I might go in and battle with the managers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've started going around and the best I've gotten is $500 over invoice which sounds like a winner. Most want MSRP and won't move for the first week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious of what invoice pricing is on an AWD EX (w/o leather w/o NAV).

Will Honda ever get their site updated with information on the 2012 CR-V? Only shows info for the '11.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts