Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the day my 2015 CRV battery died. It has just under 29,000 miles and is one month short of being off original warranty. Honda replaced it free of charge but only gave me a months warranty one it (until the original warranty runs out).

It has been cold here (Midwest) but today was not one of the colder days (20 degrees F). The other morning it was -16. I had it at a different dealer approx 2 months ago for a flat and they said the battery tested fine (while patching the tire, they said they checked everything else on the car).

I am glad it died today and not during the holiday weekend when places are closed. I had run errands to 3 different stores and then stopped at my mailbox on the way home (2 blocks away) and it wouldn't start. It is odd how the new cars act when the battery won't start. It makes a computerized ticking noise and all the lights flash compared to the old cars that would try to turn over. After someone jumped my car, I drove directly to the dealer at 3:30 in the afternoon (they were crowded) and by habit, turned off the car. So they got to experience the battery not starting on their own :)

I seem to have crappy luck with OEM batteries. I have never had them last 3 years. Previous batteries were Toyota and Lexus on my Camry.

How long did your first battery last on your CRV? Honda said most get 4-5 years out of their batteries. Am I the norm or just unlucky?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Coral, do you check the electrolyte levels in the batteries and add water when necessary?
That would be a "no". Honestly, I have never heard of that (embarrassed). It does go to the dealer at least 2x a year if not more often - would they do that when checking out the car? How often should I do this?

As odd as this sounds - my Diehard battery was going strong after 6 years when the Camry got traded off.

I figured OEM batteries were not as good as some of the others (Interstate, Diehard, Duralast).

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
2014 EX with 31,000 miles and mine still has the original battery.

I have not been checking the fluid levels, and expect my dealer to take care of that...which of course means I need to ask them if they do that, or check my last receipt to see if that's one of the things they check.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2014 EX with 31,000 miles and mine still has the original battery.

I have not been checking the fluid levels, and expect my dealer to take care of that...which of course means I need to ask them if they do that, or check my last receipt to see if that's one of the things they check.
I know they "test the battery" as they always report that my battery is fine. I thought these new batteries were "maintenance free". I guess I expected the dealership to also take care of it also.

Now that I think about it, my car has probably been to the dealer 10x in the last 3 years. It goes in for the 30K warranty in a month or so. I will ask.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Does the dealer check the battery fluid level? Who knows, I'am sure some do. It's not hard to check, a screw driver to pry off the two caps. Regrettable Honda's battery clamp that crosses over the top of the battery has to be slid a bit to get the caps off.
The average life span of a battery is about 4 yrs. With the range of around 3 to 5 years.
If the dealer says they are maintenance free, they are not....maintenance free are sealed with no caps to remove.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
After two years of "free" maintenance on my '15 CRV I can tell you they do not top off the battery. During that time period I topped off all cells with distilled water two times, once each year.

I always check several times a year and top off as needed.

Does it prolong the life of the battery? Sometimes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Batteries are supposed to be "maintenance-free", so don't feel bad about not checking electrolyte levels. I never do and replace batteries every 5 years or so as a precaution.

The underlying issue here is that the 51R OEM battery is of marginal size. Three years of use and a very cold snap likely did it in.

When this battery is ready for replacement consider upgrading to a Group 24f or 34: there are several threads here about the swap. The bigger battery will give you lots more power and will almost surely last longer. Plus, they are generally no more expensive than the 51R.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The average life span of a battery is about 4 yrs. With the range of around 3 to 5 years.
If the dealer says they are maintenance free, they are not....maintenance free are sealed with no caps to remove.
They did not. I just made the assumption as I have read that term before.

Thank you for your information. I learn something new every day. I will also ask the dealer next month.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Batteries are supposed to be "maintenance-free", so don't feel bad about not checking electrolyte levels. I never do and replace batteries every 5 years or so as a precaution.

The underlying issue here is that the 51R OEM battery is of marginal size. Three years of use and a very cold snap likely did it in.

When this battery is ready for replacement consider upgrading to a Group 24f or 34: there are several threads here about the swap. The bigger battery will give you lots more power and will almost surely last longer. Plus, they are generally no more expensive than the 51R.
Thanks - I already checked Consumer Reports on the best brands of batteries to purchase. I think I will be pro-active and change it sooner in the future (as I haven't had an OEM last 3 years yet).

When I bought my last Diehard for my Camry, I bought a higher end one (not sure what group they belonged too) but it lasted 6 years before I traded it off. It was also one that was supposed to be better for our wicked winters.

I will do a search on the terms you listed (Group 24f or 34) to be better prepared in the future.

Honda gave me a free battery today. So hopefully I have 2 years before I need to buy one. I saw that Interstate, Duralast and Diehard are the top 3 brands. What brand do you recommend? Or does it not matter as much?

·
Registered
259 Posts
And likely all made by Johnson Controls.

The OEM battery in our CRV was 2.5 years old (date of first use of the vehicle to when we bought it as a CPO car). It was pretty dead and we got the selling dealer to replace it before we took ownership. The Honda replacement is now 2 years old and having trouble as the temps are single digits this week.

I see 24F and 34 mentioned as replacements, so very similar to what I went thru with my 2014 Subaru Outback a year ago. The OEM Group 25 battery (490 CCA / 85-90 RC) struggled to turn over the 2.5L engine, and both the 24 & 34 fit the spot. The 34 offers a huge jump in CCA with a modest increase in RC. The 24 offers a decent jump in CCA with a huge jump in RC. I view the 34 as a sprinter, the 24 as a marathon runner. I chose the Group 24.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

That's very true. I totally agree with you. By upgrading to these sizes you can be assured that it'll last much longer & less likely you'll get stranded.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an '09 with 82K on it. Although I didn't replace the batteries myself I have complete maint. records going back to the date of purchase, which indicate the battery was first replace at 15K after ~ 14 months. The last time it was replaced with an Interstate was at 57K after another ~ 4 1/2 yrs. Current battery is ~ 2 1/2 yrs, w/ 25K on it, and laboring a bit to start in this cold spell.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We drive a couple dozen different Honda models within extended family. Each car is equipped with a JNC660 backup starter and each cars battery is connected AT LEAST once a month for an overnight battery conditioning/charge/maintainer via CTEK (56-864). All our Hondas use Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries as we replace unconditionally the OEM battery at around 6 months.

The JNC660 also allows a hot swap (power on OBD2 port) of battery without losing any settings on the ECU and on board system settings using a plug connector.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We drive a couple dozen different Honda models within extended family. Each car is equipped with a JNC660 backup starter and each cars battery is connected AT LEAST once a month for an overnight battery conditioning/charge/maintainer via CTEK (56-864). All our Hondas use Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries as we replace unconditionally the OEM battery at around 6 months.

The JNC660 also allows a hot swap (power on OBD2 port) of battery without losing any settings on the ECU and on board system settings using a plug connector.

Where do you live? Canada? I am guessing a cold climate area.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My battery in our 2014 is original and sounding good in these low teen temperatures.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Our 08 CRV battery lasted about 6 years before it died. Our 02 civic had a battery lasted 9 years. My 13 venza battery lasted 2 years and I replaced it with an AGM battery. Previous to that we had cars with battery lasted just about 4 to 5 years.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts