Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today was the day my 2015 CRV battery died. It has just under 29,000 miles and is one month short of being off original warranty. Honda replaced it free of charge but only gave me a months warranty one it (until the original warranty runs out).

It has been cold here (Midwest) but today was not one of the colder days (20 degrees F). The other morning it was -16. I had it at a different dealer approx 2 months ago for a flat and they said the battery tested fine (while patching the tire, they said they checked everything else on the car).

I am glad it died today and not during the holiday weekend when places are closed. I had run errands to 3 different stores and then stopped at my mailbox on the way home (2 blocks away) and it wouldn't start. It is odd how the new cars act when the battery won't start. It makes a computerized ticking noise and all the lights flash compared to the old cars that would try to turn over. After someone jumped my car, I drove directly to the dealer at 3:30 in the afternoon (they were crowded) and by habit, turned off the car. So they got to experience the battery not starting on their own :)

I seem to have crappy luck with OEM batteries. I have never had them last 3 years. Previous batteries were Toyota and Lexus on my Camry.

How long did your first battery last on your CRV? Honda said most get 4-5 years out of their batteries. Am I the norm or just unlucky?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think ours was orginsl to vehicle.when they did the repair from my wife's rear ending they left the doors open and it was slow to start. They replaced the battery but later told me it was 5 years old. As an FYI kinda thing. That shop did things right in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Today was the day my 2015 CRV battery died. It has just under 29,000 miles and is one month short of being off original warranty. Honda replaced it free of charge but only gave me a months warranty one it (until the original warranty runs out).

It has been cold here (Midwest) but today was not one of the colder days (20 degrees F). The other morning it was -16. I had it at a different dealer approx 2 months ago for a flat and they said the battery tested fine (while patching the tire, they said they checked everything else on the car).

I am glad it died today and not during the holiday weekend when places are closed. I had run errands to 3 different stores and then stopped at my mailbox on the way home (2 blocks away) and it wouldn't start. It is odd how the new cars act when the battery won't start. It makes a computerized ticking noise and all the lights flash compared to the old cars that would try to turn over. After someone jumped my car, I drove directly to the dealer at 3:30 in the afternoon (they were crowded) and by habit, turned off the car. So they got to experience the battery not starting on their own :)

I seem to have crappy luck with OEM batteries. I have never had them last 3 years. Previous batteries were Toyota and Lexus on my Camry.

How long did your first battery last on your CRV? Honda said most get 4-5 years out of their batteries. Am I the norm or just unlucky?
My first battery in my 2012 was still strong after 5 years but developed a crack and was leaking fluid so I replaced it. In all my cars, cycles, tractors and mowers I take them out once a year, clean any corrosion off, grease the terminals and add 5-6 aspirin to each cell and always check the distilled water level....especially in the summer heat. I have had some car batteries last 10 years and most all my other batteries last 6+ years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2013 EX-L has a type 35 which has 650 cold cranking amps. The 51r only has 435. In the cold you need more cranking power. My battery lasted 3 years and one month. My replacement lasted 3 years and 3 months. If I could get an AGM battery for my CR-V I would.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wife's OEM battery didn't last long at all. She put in an Interstate which lasted a couple of years. Then, I got her a NAPA Legend Professional... best battery! You should still shut off everything if you're going to park it for awhile, but I believe there are software/firmware updates that help, too.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts