Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who don't change them regularly, how long did the CR1616 battery last with daily use, before it died?

I've always replaced mine every two years. So far, never had a key fob battery die on my 2007 CR-V.

But I'm wondering if two years is too often?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Probably depends on how much you use the fob. I only use it for opening the drivers door. When I exit I use the lock switch on the drivers armrest to lock the drivers door and/or others if they're unlocked.
Some people use the fob to lock when they exit and they press it two times to hear the horn beep. That will wear the battery faster.

I replace the batteries every three years or so. Never had one go dead and even if it did it's no big deal, just use the key to open the door.

Now on the push button starters it's a bigger deal. I change the battery in my Mazda's fob every year since the fob is always sending a signal to the car when in range.

·
Registered
519 Posts
On our 2009, the original battery was still in my wife's key fob after 8 years when we traded it in last year. The battery in my key fob was replaced after I ran the fob through the wash cycle and part of the dry cycle about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like these key fobs use very little power. Lithium batteries have a long shelf life. The Vinnic CR1616's that I just picked up from Batteries+ have an expiration date of 2028.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
Agreed, fob battery life depends on usage.

I locked and unlocked our '06 doors 15 times a day while I was working. The fob battery usually lasted 12 - 18 months.

OTOH, the battery in our 'spare' key fob is still original (and works fine, just checked it yesterday).

YMMV with newer cars that have proximity fobs.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think I changed the batteries in my 1999 key fob once in the 10 years I owned it.
I did not change the batteries in the 2006 that I bought in 2009 and drove for 5 years.
My 2014 still has the original batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 08 fob is still working, its weaker then when it was new and will probably have it changed soon. I have just over 100000 miles on my crv.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts