Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Depends on usage and environment.
Mine hits three years in May. I will replace it then regardless of its ability to start the car. Factory batteries have a three year safe lifespan.

Breakdowns due to battery failure, to me, fall into the avoidable with proper maintenance category and therefore unacceptable in my book.

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
173 Posts
Depends on usage and environment.
Mine hits three years in May. I will replace it then regardless of its ability to start the car. Factory batteries have a three year safe lifespan.

Breakdowns due to battery failure, to me, fall into the avoidable with proper maintenance category and therefore unacceptable in my book.
What type of maintenance? (Serious question) I thought all (most anyway) batteries these days were maintenance-free.

I usually hope to get ~5 years from a battery. I had to replace the factory battery on my 2012 Odyssey in less than 4 years though.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
That all depends. The OEM battery on my 2013 CRV lasted 4 years and I replaced it with a EverStart Maxx from Walmart. The OEM battery on my Civic is 4 years and 3 months old and still working just fine.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
What type of maintenance? (Serious question) I thought all (most anyway) batteries these days were maintenance-free.

I usually hope to get ~5 years from a battery. I had to replace the factory battery on my 2012 Odyssey in less than 4 years though.

You can check the water level in the battery and add distilled water if it's low. That's what I did to the OEM battery in the CRV which prolonged its life.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Unless there has been something wrong with the battery right away my batteries have usually lasted 8-9 years without issues (Nordic climate).

Just replaced my Toyota original battery after 9 years of use. Would have been okay for summer use but didn't have the cold cranking power anymore. In fact, I have the old battery in my garage, keep it charged in case I need some backup.

My previous CR-V (3rd gen) battery was still original when I sold it ten years in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
txpod said:
How long should my 2016 CRV battery last, and what is best replacement battery?
If you regularly take care of the battery, easily 5 years or more. That means, using a CTEK MUS or similar trickle charger/desulfator and adding distilled water as needed. Also, depends on your environment, batteries don't like high heat.

We use AGM batteries in all our Hondas (Civic,Accord,CRV,Ridgeline,Passport) and each Honda has a backup jump starter.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts

Maintenance with a maintenance free battery means replacement. For other parts of the car, it can mean different things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There isn't a "best" specifically for a Honda. All battery brands come in a list of sizes as need for all vehicles. Beyond that remember you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
From reading it seems a battery with more CCA would be a better choice than the Honda factory battery. The Honda battery is a bit anemic.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The Honda battery is a bit anemic.
Ya think so?

I'm really happy with the way our '13 EX is running with the Group 24F battery I put in it.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
Battery life and replacement strategies vary significantly. The type of use and basic maintenance (keeping the terminals clean) will impact this life. At one end of the spectrum is the planned purchase where an owner replaces the battery every x years rather than face a breakdown/issue on the road. And on the other end of the spectrum is the owner who runs the battery till it quits spinning the starter and has to replace it immediately regardless of the situation. Some owners start their cars twice a day and drive 15 miles each time which helps to ensure that the battery is fully charged at the end of the drive. Others start their vehicles 20 times a day with a variety of short drives. Heat and cold also take their toll. I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer as long as you are comfortable with the end process as to when the battery gets/needs replaced.

Regarding specifications, I've lived in areas where the temps can get a bit cold during the winter so I attempt to review and select the battery that I think will give me the best shot of getting my car started should it have to sit outside overnight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts