Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual for my 2014 CR-V doesn't say anything about warming up the car in cold weather (yes, I did actually read the entire thing). I live in an area where temperatures can drop to below -40F, though so far temperatures haven't gotten significantly below 0F. I normally let the car idle for about 5 minutes when it's below freezing, but I have no idea if it's too little or too much. Does anyone have any knowledge on this, especially as a function of the outside temperature? While gas mileage is important to me, the thing I care the most about is the overall health and well-being of my car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your temperature gauge is your friend.

Your car will start and stay in open loop mode until a certain temperature is reached, then the high idle will drop to normal. This temperature is NOT normal operating temperature, as seen from your temperature gauge. If you start to drive before normal operating temperature is reached, you should drive no faster than 15 mph until you reach normal operating temperature, again by watching your temperature gauge.

It doesn't harm your vehicle to bring it up to normal operating temperature before driving, especially in winter. You will increase it's longevity. The time it takes to do this will strictly depend on the temperature outside.

·
Registered
704 Posts
crvee - what exactly do you consider to be "normal operating temperature" as indicated on the temperature gauge?

Your temperature gauge is your friend.

Your car will start and stay in open loop mode until a certain temperature is reached, then the high idle will drop to normal. This temperature is NOT normal operating temperature, as seen from your temperature gauge. If you start to drive before normal operating temperature is reached, you should drive no faster than 15 mph until you reach normal operating temperature, again by watching your temperature gauge.

It doesn't harm your vehicle to bring it up to normal operating temperature before driving, especially in winter. You will increase it's longevity. The time it takes to do this will strictly depend on the temperature outside.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would start the engine, wait about 30-sec to a minute and drive slowly (as on city streets) for a mile or two. If I need to get on the freeway immediately, then I would let the car idle a couple more minutes.

There are several technologies already in the car working together to help with cold starts without the need for long idle times. Gen4s use 0W-20 engine oil to help with lubrication on cold starts, the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter will ensure there is oil where it needs to be, the fuel pressure regulator will ensure there is enough fuel in the fuel rail at start, and the coolant bypass hose will ensure heat is not lost in the radiator until operating temp is reached. Also, the transmission needs to warm up as well. And this can only happen if the car is moving, or the driver is shifting the lever through each position until the transmission is warmed up.

So, my reason to wait even the 30-sec to 1min is to listen to the car just in case something is wrong and I would know before leaving my garage or parking lot.

I think this topic is like the 3k mile oil change debate. Great conversation starter, no longer relevant in modern automobiles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Me personally...10 seconds.. LOL

I start the car put on my seatbelt, and off into reverse I go. It takes me about 2 minutes to jump on the highway and no way for the CRV or any car to warm up that fast...

I did test out what would happen if the CRV was driven fast when cold.. You get locked up to 3rd gear... once warmed up you get a clunk into 4th gear and a few seconds later you get overdrive.. I don't recommend this but I was just curious to see what it could do when cold out... I got to test the Rogue out with a CVT to see how that one behaves. The RAV4 would go into 3rd and lock you out of overdrive also. By the way off topic.. No noise for me starting.. nice and quiet and no grinding coming from the engine.

As for warming up the car, I drive lightly to warm the car up. I try not to exceed 2,500 rpm when driving even merging onto the highway. I give more room so I have more distance to accumulate speed. You only need to get the temperature gauge past the C mark and as soon as it got into its first spot between cold and operating temperature you are all set.

I say this because with the Subaru forester I tested, no temperature gauge. Only an idiot light. a blue light to let you know it was cold and off to say ok.. When I was test driving I did see the blue light on when driving, but after just going a block or two at slow speeds the light went out. I assume it wasn't at operating temperature yet, but things were ok to go but don't try flooring it yet..

The only time I ever, ever let the car idle a long time is when snow and ice are on the car... can't drive when windows are frozen so you need the car to warm up to clear it. Also warming up the interior as you are sweeping the snow off the car.

By the way [begin rant] I wish lazy people would actually sweep and clear snow from there cars! You see people driving with huge chunks of snow on the roof, hood still covered and trunk... wtf lazy people... Even with CUV that is taller then most I at least take 5 min to try to remove as much as possible from the roof although I might miss the center. I remember this lady in a Camry, light turn red and she stopped sort of hard and all that snow on the roof came crashing down her front windshield. Lets just say her wiper blades couldn't remove the heavy snow that came crashing down...[/end rant]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely varies with the temperature outside. If the windows have no frost or snow and the temperature is just below freezing maybe 2 or 3 minutes. With frost and snow all over and colder temps about ten minutes. -40 C. About 15 minutes! Block heaters also make a difference in warm up times. Then there is a winter front that speeds up warming. I just ordered the cloudrider winter front because at -30 C driving on the highway at 100KPH into an arctic wind the V would not warm up to a comfortable temperature.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
By the way [begin rant] I wish lazy people would actually sweep and clear snow from there cars! You see people driving with huge chunks of snow on the roof, hood still covered and trunk... wtf lazy people...
I agree. Some people just don't care...

snow.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
A block heater is your friend. If your CR-V didn't come equipped with one have one installed. Starting a vehicle in -40F (-40C it's the same) is very hard on it. You will significantly increase the life of your engine with this simple, cheap device. I have all my vehicles on timers so the heaters go on 2 hours before starting them. Plus the vehicle warms up in a couple of minutes and the defroster works almost immediately. The money you save by not letting the vehicle idle, warming up, will pay for the heater in a year. Just don't leave the cords lying in the driveway and run them over with a snow thrower. Trust me it's not pleasant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts