Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 crv with the b20z and I'm needing to replace the valve cover gasket the timing belt and I believe oil pump and the gasket there also adjust the valves can anyone give me an estimated time my vehicle should be down doing it myself somewhat mechanically inclined.

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
I have a 99 crv with the b20z and I'm needing to replace the valve cover gasket the timing belt and I believe oil pump and the gasket there also adjust the valves can anyone give me an estimated time my vehicle should be down doing it myself somewhat mechanically inclined.
How can someone gauge what you can and cannot do and how long it would take.

Registered
Welcome to the forum Ljgrimm84! If it was me doing that I would say several weeks.

1. First I would read all about the repairs.
  2. Then buy several tools I for some reason don't have.
  3. Then start the project and find I broke something.
  4. Then find out the wrong gasket was sent.
  5. Then get sucked into a project in the house that must be done before getting back to the car.
  6. Then find out the new part will almost fit, but not exactly and I have to take it back.
  7. Then find out the part is backordered because of the Coronavirus and is sitting on a ship somewhere in the Pacific Ocean waiting to be offloaded.
  8. Then spill oil all over the garage floor.
  9. Then find the stupid car won't start because for some reason the battery is now dead.
  10. Then clean everything up only to find the stupid gasket is leaking where I nicked it.
  11. Then clean everything up again including the floor.
  12. Take the part apart to install a new gasket only to find the old gasket was fine, but the aluminum mating surface was nicked when I threw the wrench at the car because of the part that wouldn't fit in the previous step 6!
Yep, several weeks would be a optimist view of the time allowed. :eek:

Have fun, and above all else be safe!

Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
Lol BigD!

For repair time, it really depends on what you can do.

The valve cover gasket is a 20 minute job, tops. Just make sure the gasket and the spark plug tube seals are black rubber. Silicone gaskets leak.

Adjusting the valves is an hour job for an experienced person (me). First time, I would expect it to take 2-2.5 hours. You'll probably have to do it again soon, because it's tricky to do it right the first time.

When I do timing belts, it takes me all day, and I've done a few of them. I also get repairs done faster than my mechanic does sometimes. Timing belts still take me all day.

The oil pump would take less time than the timing belt, just because removing the timing belt is most of the work to access the oil pump. The only caveat here is that I think you have to take the oil pan off to get the oil pump off. I haven't done a CR-V oil pump, so I don't know off the top of my head.

Always make sure you change the coolant pump if you take the timing belt off.

You'll also need a damper holding tool to keep the engine from rotating while you loosen/tighten the crankshaft pulley. Get this before you start anything.

Also plan around finding more problems when you pull stuff apart, because that always happens.

Depending on how fast you work, how many days off you have, access to local auto parts stores, how married you are, etc. your car may be down for a few days, or a few weeks.

That's being said, the more times you read through the repair manual, the faster you'll be able to do things, even on your first try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.