Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the 1st gens have a timing belt that needs serviced and also some interior noise complaints, anything else that needs to be looked at? Looking at a 99 that I cant verify if the timing belt service was done, if I have that done, could there be much damage done if it was not changed at say 100K? Its clean so I think it probably was, anyway to tell? Its got 168K now. Whats a decent price, used dealer is asking a HIGH 3200. Thanks, George

·
Registered
437 Posts
If the timing belt breaks then there will be major damage, but if it is running well then no damage has been done from going over the recommended mileage. If the belt has not been changed then it needs to be done asap plus the water pump. The major concern with the early models is the need for frequent valve adjustments, if not done you risk burning the exhaust valves $$$$. As far as the transmissions go , I change the fluid every 30k and my 1994 Accord has 225,000 miles with zero transmission problems and is driven everyday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how many miles are too many????? for oil usage or trans problems How long will they go and still be reliable? I understand if the belt is not broken its OK, but now sure about how to tell if the valves have damage if neglected. I assume tapping! George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts