Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2012 CR-V when I filled it it would show something like "425 miles" remaining on the fuel. On my 2017 Touring AWD when I fill it up it will only show something like 368 miles to empty. I looked at the specs in the owner's manual and it shows the tank to hold 14 US gallons of fuel. I get a warning light and no miles remaining but when fueling up the car will only accept 11 gallons. In other words, the last three gallons don't seem to register. This condition is not really unusual for any car as the manufacturer doesn't want you running out of fuel. (Its inconvenient for you and its hard on the car) Most vehicles are set to show "Empty" when they still have two to four gallons left. That part does not concern me.

What I find odd however is how it shows only 368 (or something like that) miles to empty yet I see people posting pictures of their screens where a trip was 425 miles. I would have to run my car far past "E" on the gauge and with the warning light on for miles to get that far on a tank.

What are others showing as "miles remaining" on their fuel when they fill up? I am just curious as to why this happens. Note that I only have 1,200 miles so my experience bank is a bit short right now. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in the 340 range today after fillup. It is disappointing that they put a 14 gallon tank in the '17.

My last vehicle that I just traded in was an '06 Accord Coupe 6mt. 16 gallon tank, recorded 29.xx mpg highway at 84+mph/avg on a trip a couple months ago. I hated giving it up, but the dealership offered me $4500 for it, even though it had a bad 3rd gear, rust hole in the rear wheel well, and rusted sway bar links. I couldn't pass up that money vs putting any more money in to it.

A trip to visit my parents was around 460 miles and could almost make it on one tank, but the light always came on and didn't feel like risking it.

Now I want that car back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ the OP.... don't forget to take into account that if it's being listed like that, it could be due to the fact that if it's truly a 14g. tank, it could have a 2-3g. reserve. So that might be what you're seeing.
I do find it a little strange that it seems they are going back down in fuel tank size. My '05 (even though it's the Aussie version)... has the equivalent of a 15 g. tank and it seems like it has a lower curb weight than the brand new V's and mine has the 2.5L motor. I'm still averaging low to mid 20's on the mpg's which I don't think is bad for a 12 yr old V.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I filled up yesterday. Now 4.2 miles later, computer mpg is 33.8, range 381 mi. If that range is based on that mpg, the tank capacity calculates to 11.3 gal. which is a conservative understatement. I didn't note the range shown before driving off unfortunately.

Prior to fueling, the range was 74 miles. The car took 10.1 gal., computer showed 28.0 mpg. That calculates to 2.6 gal. remaining, and a 12.7 gal. tank. Less conservative. [thanks bibo for reminding me of tank size; ... brain cramp]

As the ads say, "Your mileage may vary".

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I feel better now, it seems they mostly show less than 400 miles. My 2012 would always show well over 400. I do believe that in the programing it must be looking at average MPG from past trips. I have also noticed at times that the miles remaining will actually go up or at least not decrease, while driving when I am getting high MPG on that trip.

Now that we have some data it appears that this is just the way it is. I too was a bit disappointed in the small size of the gas tank. I often do long trips in remote places and like all the gas I can have with me. (and I don't like putting a full gas can in the back!).

I am not one of those people who will criticize the vehicle because of one or two small things. I look at the car like a person, judging the whole. Honda must have had a packaging decision on the tank size due to something in the layout. Car design is a constant series of compromises.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My first tank was 292 miles, so technically yours V registers a couple of MPG better than mine, you should be very happy about it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
So I finally remembered to write down data before and after filling up today. BTW, I have 2000 mi. on the car now and most of my driving is combined city/hwy with lots of stop and go traffic. Here's what I found:

- Drove 377.6 mi. on last tank
- Computer said I got 30.4 mpg
- Old fashioned method of calculating mpg showed 30.42
- Prior to fill up light had come on and showed 0 range left. I drove approx. 5 mi. after that.
- Tank would only hold 12.41 gal., prior fill ups when light came on was only able to squeeze in 11.4.
- After fill up today range said 393 mi.

Conclusions. Computer mpg is pretty spot on. Once light comes on you still have approx. 2.5 gal left in tank. Range is taking that into account and not including last 2.5 gal reserve.
Yeah, I would prefer a larger tank like on prev. CR-Vs or Accords but, it's all about weight reduction now. Bottom line is DON'T PANIC when your low fuel light comes on. You've still got at least 60 - 75 miles left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My branch new CRV on my first fill up (after dealer full tank fill) came up to 20.6 mpg. My next fill up should give the right value. this is mostly city riding and some free way time on it, just under 300 miles now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not EVER drive any of my vehicles until a light or other item indicates the remaining fuel level is very low. Remember, fuel pumps can/will pick up foreign material in the tank and cause havoc in the engine. I realize we all drive differently for the most part, but I try to refuel when the gauge indicates a little more than one-quarter tank remaining.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not EVER drive any of my vehicles until a light or other item indicates the remaining fuel level is very low. Remember, fuel pumps can/will pick up foreign material in the tank and cause havoc in the engine. I realize we all drive differently for the most part, but I try to refuel when the gauge indicates a little more than one-quarter tank remaining.
I rarely run the tank low. I did one time just to get a feel for when the light would come on and how much fuel would be left. I wanted to know the system worked right. "Test don't guess" (If you are an old mechanic you know where that motto came from).

As for running a tank low, the fuel pump sits low in the tank as it is submerged and it would be dangerous to allow an electric motor to run with both gas fumes and oxygen around it. Manufactures design the tank so that the pump is in a sump and that the pickup would run out of fuel while the pump was still submerged. This is a common sense safety design and any liability attorney could explain why you would want to do this. Also, the fuel cools the pump and when the tank gets low the pump could in theory run hotter. Again, not a big issue but I suppose it could happen. Lastly the car maker really doesn't want you to run out of fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts