Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a blowout and my Honda dealership told me it would be nice to change two tires instead of just one. My veteran Honda mechanic said putting a new tire on with the other side tire at about 6/32 wouldn't cause a problem. Other folks on Reddit and at Discount Tire warn me to change all four tires, not just one or two. Who is right? Anyone have the answer to this controversial question? Tried the search feature here but no results. My feeling is changing all tires is overkill and changing just one would probably be fine. That's just my feeling, not based on anything. Thanks in advance for clearing up my sense of confusion on this matter, that seems to be my default sense, confusion.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
179 Posts
At 6/32 I would recommend doing 2. It probably won't hurt anything if you do just 1, but 2 would be better. Save the 6/32 tire for an emergency. At my dealership we suggest 2 tires if the difference is over 5/32. Front to rear does not matter as much as side to side. Always remember tires shops are here to sell tires. At the dealership we typically cringe on doing tires and i know my team won't try to over sale tires, ever. We sell when needed for safety.

If you do 2 have them put the new ones on the front.

The one thing that will mater is future tire rotations. A good shop would keep the over sized tire in the rear and not rotate then. So your front 2 tires will be worn out faster. By getting 2 you will be able to do proper rotations when needed.

Just my opinion. I sure i won't be the only opinion you get.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say, "...probably won't hurt anything", what might get hurt? Stability, AWD system, some expensive part?

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
179 Posts
When you say, "...probably won't hurt anything", what might get hurt? Stability, AWD system, some expensive part?
So it the rolling theory is the difference from left to right is what it can do to the diffs(front and rear). Now with 15 years of dealership experience I have NEVER seen a diff damaged by different tread depths. Im thinking that is more from actual tire sizes being different not tread depth.

The abs traction control and tpms may be affected but with the passive tpms learning i think the car can learn some of those issues and correct them.

1 thing is for sure. Make sure the brand is the same. I have seen different brands cause tpms lights to come on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now with 15 years of dealership experience I have NEVER seen a diff damaged by different tread depths. :cool:

Take that, all you don't be cheap, change all four tires Redditors

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
179 Posts
Now with 15 years of dealership experience I have NEVER seen a diff damaged by different tread depths. :cool:

Take that, all you don't be cheap, change all four tires Redditors
Lol personally I'd do 2 and put them up front.

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,536 Posts
Flat thrown out, new tire. goes where? front, the axel that applies the spin. then after it wears in then to the rotation of the car. no need for same changes.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White daughter's new ride......I just get to fill it up and maintain it.
54 Posts
I don't know when it kicks in on just tread depth. Remember that the rear differential works on speed difference of front tires vs. rear tires to engage the pistons and supply power to wheels. I don't know how larger tire (more tread depth) which spins slower affects that. Consider after some time doing a rear diff D&F to refresh the fluid. My '04 had really dirty fluid when swapped but had a lot of miles, not sure when or if it was ever done. My in-laws were always good for NOT rotating tires so you would only need to buy 2 every time. Way back Jeep had TSB's for their full time 4WD because of different brands in same size had a big size variance and burning up transfer cases.

Carbon.Nut- update your profile so when you hover over the flag it shows where you are and also what year vehicle etc. Somebody close to you might have a good used tire to take the place.

LIke fishycomics is only an hour from me if he needs parts from an '04 EX before it gets scrapped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts