Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CRV i-DTEC Ex (auto) 4wd with sensing (2016)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1.6i-DTEC EX CRV with sensing for over a year now and it's a great car with a few niggles. I'm curious to understand the gearbox and economy as it's not the most economical vehicle I've driven, but not the worst either considering its size/height. I do a lot of motorway driving and to get anywhere near 50mpg, I have to drive at around 60mph. Any faster, and the mpg seems to drop very quickly as the engine is revving harder. However, the car never seems to go into 9th gear unless I'm pushing it to 75/80mph. Is that normal? With my usual 60mph driving, I'm worried that the gearbox won't be shifting into 9th gear enough and this might affect it later in it's life. Also, if I do push it last the 70mpg mark and manage to get into 9th gear, does the switch over make a significant difference to the economy or am I looking at the low 40mpg or less?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,938 Posts
Hi and welcome/

Please update your profile with your car details. Easier to help you in future :)

I believe yours will be the 160bhp model as you note its the top spec EX.

Are you using the ECON mode? If so, DONT.

It chokes performance. So many variables affect your MPG - elevation, speed, weight etc. When I had my (2) 2.2 i-DTEC CR-V EX's (one manual, one Auto), I was getting 50-60mpg for fun in both. So it can be done. Most of that was m-way speeds around 70mph. Believe you should have flappy paddles too - so rather than wait for the box to go to 9th, use the paddles.

Reactions: UK-Kev and otto33

·
Registered
CRV i-DTEC Ex (auto) 4wd with sensing (2016)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome/

Please update your profile with your car details. Easier to help you in future :)

I believe yours will be the 160bhp model as you note its the top spec EX.

Are you using the ECON mode? If so, DONT.

It chokes performance. So many variables affect your MPG - elevation, speed, weight etc. When I had my (2) 2.2 i-DTEC CR-V EX's (one manual, one Auto), I was getting 50-60mpg for fun in both. So it can be done. Most of that was m-way speeds around 70mph. Believe you should have flappy paddles too - so rather than wait for the box to go to 9th, use the paddles.
Thanks. Yes I tend to drive with ECON mode on all the time as I was told it helps with economy but to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced. I'll do a long journey without it on and see what difference it makes. It might even help the adaptive cruise work a bit more smoothly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same model car, 2016 1.6 dtec EX auto 4wd 160bhp. and when cruising at 70 it's in either 7th or 8th depending on the road being level or slight gradient. If I push it up to nearer 80mph and use the paddle to select 9th, unless its on a downhill gradient, it automatically goes back to 8th after a few seconds. Just can't understand what 9th is there for. By the way, this is not in Econ mode.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello All,
In my opinion the 9 speed ZF automatic gearbox as used by Honda is one of the finest pieces of modern-day engineering, I have ever seen, the only downside is that they do like to be serviced with nice clean fresh oil.

Now if you all look in your owner’s manual it tells you from new 3 years until the first oil change and then every 2 years depending on mileage – Now I know this oil is not cheap, but if want to maintain your 9-speed auto g/box to the highest standard get it serviced every two years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re 2016 CRV 1.6 dtec auto 4wd EX. Hi, my car drives lovely but draws me to ask about the auto gear selection and if this is typical with other like model owners. When cruising on a motorway at 70mph on a level road the car sits in 8th gear at around 1800 rpm and if on a slight gradient it drops to 7th. I don’t seem to experience it using 9th gear for cruising. If I sneek up to around 80 mph, It appears I still have to manually select 9th with the paddles, it will then change up to 9th but unless going downhill it soon goes back to 8th. Is this how the car is designed to run in regards to the gears and 9th not being used when at our national speed limit? I have contacted Honda and oddly, they dont know the answer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the abovementioned gearbox (ZF), you just do oil replacement or there is a "kit" like other auto transmissions that you get filter, oil, plugs etc..? Couldn't find many info about the maintenance of it

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,983 Posts
There are kits consisting of fluid and the filter (part of the trans-pan). Often, ZF kits include all the Torx bolts that hold the pan in place, too.

For the ZF80 used on our European car, Dorman sells a transmission pan with a replaceable filter for 'next time'.

If you haven't ever changed fluid on a ZF, it can be kind of a pain, as the trans needs to be at a specified temperature range when evaluating proper fill level! :oops:

BTW, ZF recommends a 60,000 mile interval (or 6 years) for trans oil & filter, even though some manufacturers say "Lifetime". :eek:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,983 Posts
@Carbuff2 can you be more specific? Dorman is in the US? I have the UK made 9speed 2016 made and i am on the 60k mark.
@otto33

Don't forget, I'm in the USA and as @mtrn says, our CR-Vs never got the ZF trans fitted to diesels, here in the USA. But some other Honda and Acura models had the 9 speed automatic.

Yes, Dorman is an aftermarket company that makes the transmission pans and removable filters for ZF transmissions. PLEASE do your homework in case yours isn't the same as this. Our car's trans is a ZF80HP and the one fitted to Hondas and Acuras here is a ZF 9HP.

Filter/pan:

Replacement procedure video

·
Registered
119 Posts
Amazing clarification, as UK/EU have the 9HP and my apologies as I only suspected that you are in the US but didn't verify. 9HP 48 is if I am not mistaken and it can be found in Acuras in the US and Odyssey if I am not mistaken.
Thank you again

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts