Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should the brake fluid be changed? Took my CRV in for B1 service and service advisor recommended: brake fluid change or flush, tranny fluid, fuel induction. Are all these needed? Looked at B1 service in the manual and it says that means ONLY oil and filter change with rotation.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed as often as the muffler bearing...:banana:

I do believe six years is easy for brake fluid unless you have LOTS of stop and go miles. LOTS!

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
3 to 5 years is recommended. Also depends on where you live (humidity and climate) and what kind've driving you do. It's very simple to do by yourself.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,180 Posts
SC3, your manual states brake fluid change evey 3 years, If you want to clean your injectors buy a bottle of Techron and put it in your tank...that's all the dealer will do..If you use top tier fuel it's not really necessary. As for the trans fluid, your maintenance minder will tell you when to do that, but I can't fault someone for doing it more often. Some will drain and fill every 30k or so.

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi since the service advisor put ‘tranny fluid’ under recommendations do I have to get this done now or should Inwait till MM shows code 3. I’m not sure if they even checked the level/condition since the multipoint checklist is blank. How can I check the tranny fluid myself? Also when dealer sells vehicle as CPO do they change all fluids?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Typically, no. Dealers don't like spending money either, I work for one.
No they don’t but we bought a 2015 CRV ex l last Tuesday night and they have since retinted our front two windows driver (last Friday) and passenger because it would not pass inspection. Today I took it in because it was leaking oil. They said the filter gasket was pinched. They replaced tires and filters too before we bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
How often should the brake fluid be changed? Took my CRV in for B1 service and service advisor recommended: brake fluid change or flush, tranny fluid, fuel induction. Are all these needed? Looked at B1 service in the manual and it says that means ONLY oil and filter change with rotation.
You should stick with Honda's recommendation of 3 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs water, which can cause corrosion and lower the fluid's boiling point. Here's an article on the dramatic effect moisture has on the boiling point. https://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

From the CRV Owners Manual:
Brake fluid marked DOT 5 is not compatible with your vehicle's braking system and can cause extensive damage.

If the specified brake fluid is not available, you should use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid from a sealed container as a temporary replacement.

Using any non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the longevity of the system. Have the brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 as soon as possible.

If the brake fluid level is at or below the MIN mark, have a dealer inspect the vehicle for leaks or worn brake pads as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Every 3 years as per the manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Every 3 years as per the manual.
My 2015 certified pre owned had the brake fluid flushed and changed right before we bought it. They did a lot of stuff before we bought it. Makes me feel like they did a good job getting it ready for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
Back in the good old days (1960s) I only changed my engine oil (condensers, rotors, distributor caps, spark plugs & wires, etc); unless there were problems I left things like tranny and brake fluids alone. Then around 70K miles it'd need a valve job. About the time the third owner pushed it to around the 100K mark it was an unreliable loose driving rusted out POS (excuse my french).

Back then it was not uncommon for folks to replace their $2000 cars at 2 (or 3) year intervals.

Nowadays a properly maintained $25,000 vehicle will easily last a dozen+ years /200K miles; part of that reason is by performing all these little things when called for.

Pay now or pay later (at trade in time).

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 to 5 years is recommended, but as my friend he drives towing truck of his towing company Queens Towing Service in New York, he he doesn't late to change it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one of those moisture meters for brake fluid and after about 3 years it is at 2% (RED!!!) and I replace with that oil change.

DOT Brake fluid is hygroscopic and with more water the boiling point drops. too much water int here and an emergency brake will make the fluid boil = loss of brake power. You won't notice under normal braking, only under really hard braking.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Love posts like this. Come on now. There is a reason why lines rust out, calipers lock up and so on. Because of moisture in the brake fluid, just like all other fluids it needs changed just not as often.

You can get all technical but 3-5 years is about the average. If you tow alot that decreases because of the extra work put on the brakes. If your someone who drives 2 footed (illegal technically in many places because it's a danger) it really decreases because brakes are way over worked and not allowed to cool. If what's in your reservoir looks dirty it needs to be changed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda does state that fluid should be changed, it is handled by the maintenance minder on recent vehicles. On the CRV. the mm says to change it at the third oil change, which in my case is just over 2 years old. I will flush the fluid to keep me warranty, but I think it is a waste of time and money. I had a Toyota Sienna for 13 years. Toyota does not require a brake fluid flush. I had the original brake fluid in the car for 13 years, when I sold it. I had no braking problems. I live in the SF Bay area where it is cool,, but often humid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To reply to your question, do what the manual says, many dealers always push for additional work and profit. If the dealer argues, show him the manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts