Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a oil change on my 2018 Honda crv at 10,000 miles and was told at the next oil change I will need to have the Rear Differential fluid changed. First 2 oil changes were both at around 5,000 miles, is this the proper time/mileage to replace that fluid as it seems early to me.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,759 Posts
Follow your maintenance minder for service not dealer asks. You'll get the rear diff change notice by 30k miles.

Moved to year relevant section.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think the maintenance minder was Honda's attempt to keep the dealers from ripping off the owners. I have a 2016 and it has never told me to change the differential oil and at 49,700, it just now told me to change the transmission oil at the next oil change. I have a friend who bought a CRV before maintenance minder was started and his differential started making a noise at just over 70,000 miles so he took it to the dealer and had the differential oil changed and that fixed the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,958 Posts
Go into your radio head unit and see what it says, that should have been what your Service rep done. while he said you are due on the next according to the computer. the rear diff fluid is original they used to be 60K changes, or until a moan is heard making a U-turn.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,759 Posts
I think the maintenance minder was Honda's attempt to keep the dealers from ripping off the owners. I have a 2016 and it has never told me to change the differential oil and at 49,700, it just now told me to change the transmission oil at the next oil change. I have a friend who bought a CRV before maintenance minder was started and his differential started making a noise at just over 70,000 miles so he took it to the dealer and had the differential oil changed and that fixed the problem.
Uh oh think you or your mechanic missed it. I know my 16 asked for it cos I have a part used bottle of CRV rear diff fluid here. Scrolling down the MM is key to capturing all items including filters etc.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Uh oh think you or your mechanic missed it. I know my 16 asked for it cos I have a part used bottle of CRV rear diff fluid here. Scrolling down the MM is key to capturing all items including filters etc.
Nobody has ever touched my car but me and I know I have not missed it as I have been looking for it at every oil change interval. I suspect it is because of the way it is driven.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
In both of my CR-V AWD the MM has advised changing the rear diff. fluid after the first 15,000 to 18,000 miles. This is to remove any particles left over from manufacturing and "break-in". After that first change it will go much further, 30,000 or more miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am bumping this up simply because i was searching this for a 2016. I religiously check my mileage minder and at over 43000 miles and mine has not asked for either diff or cvt fluid to be changed. Honda says if severe conditions to change tranny at 25000 and disregard mm but nothing like that on the rear diff.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,610 Posts
I am bumping this up simply because i was searching this for a 2016. I religiously check my mileage minder and at over 43000 miles and mine has not asked for either diff or cvt fluid to be changed. Honda says if severe conditions to change tranny at 25000 and disregard mm but nothing like that on the rear diff.
You should go to the 4th Gen section and search:

Plenty of threads there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.