Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As posted elsewhere, I'm a new CRV and Honda owner. Had one or two of their motorcycles, but never a car.

I just purchased the CRV a week ago and was wondering when I can wax it? I know the best way to take car of a car is right when you get it. I usually keep my cars for 10 years.
I traditionally use Meguiars or Turtle wax paste waxes. Are there any problems using those? Do I have to wait any length of time? How about the trim, will the waxes negatively affect them?

Thanks in advance!

Regards...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard! I think you should be able to right away wax the paint. Read the instructions that came with the wax. As far as I know the waxes now doesn't negatively affects the trim. But I might be wrong.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Depending how long you want to keep the CR-V go for a ceramic coating. Makes washing and keeping clean way simpler.

If you go the wax route try Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. It goes on quick and buffs off with no effort. It also doesn’t discolour trim. Works great on windows too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
As long as the build date on your car is 6 months before you wax, it will be OK.

Granted, with today's water-based finishes, you MAY not need to wait. But you won't see any degradation on todays clear-coats even if you wait until next year's warm weather to wax.

++++++++++++

I can attest to the results garnered with a ceramic coating. Whether the $500 - $2000 cost is worth it, is up to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending how long you want to keep the CR-V go for a ceramic coating. Makes washing and keeping clean way simpler.

If you go the wax route try Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. It goes on quick and buffs off with no effort. It also doesn’t discolour trim. Works great on windows too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard about the ceramic coatings. I wonder why they just don't put it on from the factory? I haven't heard of Collinite. I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as the build date on your car is 6 months before you wax, it will be OK.

Granted, with today's water-based finishes, you MAY not need to wait. But you won't see any degradation on todays clear-coats even if you wait until next year's warm weather to wax.

++++++++++++

I can attest to the results garnered with a ceramic coating. Whether the $500 - $2000 cost is worth it, is up to you.
$500-$2000? I guess that's answers my previous question as to why it's not included from the factory. I'll have to look at the documentation and see when the build date was.

Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
That cost often includes buffing swirls and scratches from the paint on older cars.

Get a couple estimates from local detailers if you wish to investigate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts