Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to bolster 2006 suspension for heavy load

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  miragebass 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some way to improve, or perhaps safeguard, the load carrying capacity of my 06 CR-V.

I need to be able to use a power lift carrier (for a power wheelchair) off a tow hitch, and I was hoping to find some way to bolster the suspension.

I'm going to be running very close to the limits all around, but so far I've come up empty handed. Lots of options to lift or lower the CR-V, but nothing that beefs up the suspension. I've tried to find anything from helper springs, to even air suspension units. The only thing I came across was one site in Austria that seemed to have anything - everywhere I try locally tell me there's nothing that will fit.

Does anyone have a suggestion (aside from another vehicle, of course - my '02 Accord is not going to help, here)?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

#2 ·
Figure out what the spring rate is in the back and see if anyone makes something beefier as far as an OEM size spring. If not, there are options out there for lift springs and you could always run spacers under the rear towers but that is DIY and will require some custom fabbing.

#3 ·
Thanks - I've tried all the places I can find and they have all declined to do the work. Coming up with the right specs is well beyond what I can manage.

I may have a line on some rubber blocks that will hopefully give me the safeguard I'm after, even if they aren't as ideal as stronger springs would be. If it does pan out, I'll add the info here.

#4 ·
The Element guys use Toytoa 1.1" front spacers out back and Ford F series pickup front spacers up front to get almost 3" of total lift. Suspension geometery out back in the Elements translates 1" spacer to 3" of lift and I'm not sure if that'll happen in the V, I'll be experimenting with it myself soon enough on my G2. I already am up about 1.25" over stock due to my gigantic wheels, 3-4" total lift in a CR-V would be sick IMO.

#5 ·
Sounds like you're looking for more than just a lift to me. A buddy of mine just installed an air stiffener or whatever you want to call it on his Tundra and they are actually very effective. Obviously they stiffen the ride up, but he was able to install it himself and it inflates with nothing more than a bicycle tire pump. Plus, when it's not needed, you just deflate them and go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.