Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to instructions for how to change the transmission fluid on a 2012 Honda CR-V?

Where is the drain plug?
Should the engine be warm as when changing motor oil?
How many quarts of fluid are required to refill the transmission?
I believe Honda ATF DW-1 is the correct fluid to use?
My understanding is that this model has no transmission filter/screen so there is nothing to replace/clean, just drain and refill. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like there are two good answers to the question already:

2012 transmission fluid change help
By jumpyg29 in forum Maintenance and Service

Looking for 2012 CRV Transmission Fluid change procedure
By VideoGuy in forum Maintenance and Service

·
Banned
806 Posts
I have the same year CRV and changed mine last year. It was the easiest transmission fluid change I have ever done. Make sure to replace the crush washer. Torque on the drain plug is 36 ft. lbs. I used 3 and a partial quarts. I have an AWD version.

There is a trap door looking thing down where the front slopes to the underside of the car. It has two screws identical to the ones that cover the oil filter under neath. The drain plug is under that door.

My instructions say 2.3 quarts on a 2wd and 2.7 on an awd. I would suggest picking up one extra quart. I had to shag another quart, as 3 wasn't enough when I did mine. I must of drained more than what typically comes out.

Make sure vehicle is on level ground. Instructions say to add new fluid to where it will read between the two marks on the dipstick. Reinstall dipstick making sure notch is aligned properly with tube. There is a notch on the dipstick. Start the engine and hold the engine speed at 3k rpm without load in park or neutral until the radiator fan comes on. Turn the car off and check the level. Don't overfill.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Hi, just joined the forum. Is this procedure the same for a 2013 AWD also?
I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same. If you go purchase your fluid at the Dealership, they will be able to print off instructions. You may have to ask for them. I know this is one of the items that they will give the customer detailed instructions. According to my local dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm assuming it'll be the same for the 2015 CRV 2WD. Correct. Are you sure the drain plug get torqued to 36 ft lbs and not 25 foot lbs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm assuming it'll be the same for the 2015 CRV 2WD. Correct. Are you sure the drain plug get torqued to 36 ft lbs and not 25 foot lbs?
No i would not assume that as the 2015 has a cvt trans and not the 5 speed in previous years. plus the cvt uses a different fluid!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have the same year CRV and changed mine last year. It was the easiest transmission fluid change I have ever done. Make sure to replace the crush washer. Torque on the drain plug is 36 ft. lbs. I used 3 and a partial quarts. I have an AWD version.

There is a trap door looking thing down where the front slopes to the underside of the car. It has two screws identical to the ones that cover the oil filter under neath. The drain plug is under that door.

My instructions say 2.3 quarts on a 2wd and 2.7 on an awd. I would suggest picking up one extra quart. I had to shag another quart, as 3 wasn't enough when I did mine. I must of drained more than what typically comes out.

Make sure vehicle is on level ground. Instructions say to add new fluid to where it will read between the two marks on the dipstick. Reinstall dipstick making sure notch is aligned properly with tube. There is a notch on the dipstick. Start the engine and hold the engine speed at 3k rpm without load in park or neutral until the radiator fan comes on. Turn the car off and check the level. Don't overfill.
So, I'm going to do my transmission fluid this weekend. I have a 2wd, so I was only planning on buying 3 quarts since the owners manual says it takes 2.3....do you think I should buy a fourth quart since your AWD took so much more?

·
Banned
806 Posts
So, I'm going to do my transmission fluid this weekend. I have a 2wd, so I was only planning on buying 3 quarts since the owners manual says it takes 2.3....do you think I should buy a fourth quart since your AWD took so much more?
I would. Better to have too much than not enough on hand. I used about a third of the fourth quart.

·
Registered
118 Posts
note to cvt owners: from what i have read...
the main reason for cvt failure is dirt in the system.

dirt gets in when shops are careless and rush to get the job done.
a single grain of sand can scar your system and cause failure

It is imperitve that you take extra care to keep your system dirt free when changing fluids

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I just did mine this morning at exactly 37,000 on the clock on my 2013. It was my first change and no code ever came. I have a 2wd and put exactly 3 quarts. Its a little above the full mark on the hot reading (I honestly never saw a cold reading spot). I drove it around for awhile and it's shifting a lot smoother than it was. When I drained the fluid it was dirty, so it looks like I'm going to start changing the fluid at 30K intervals. Dealer wanted $179.99 before tax, I bought 4 quarts and a crush washer for $47.88...I'll chock that up as a win!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts