Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 2017 Honda CR-V Touring and am wondering how I can downshift to control my speed going down steep mountain roads, like Berthoud Pass or Floyd Hill in Colorado? My current Volvo XC70 has a semi-automatic transmission where I can select the gear to use when driving downhill. The Honda only has the D, S and L settings for the transmission. On snow covered roads, I like to drive at most 35 mph down the mountain passes. Will the L setting permit me to keep the speed at or below 35 mph? Please let me know you're experiences with the 2017 CR-V on snow covered and mountain roads.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes, S and/or L should do the trick just fine; that's what they are there for... the manual explicitly tells you one of the effects is a "downshift" (in addition to changes in shifting logic, but that effects uphill more than down.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know what the max speed is while in L? I looked through an online owner's manual but did not see this information.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't think there is a fixed max. speed; it's just two different sets of shifting logic. (In addition to the standard two of D and D/Eco.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live on a fairly steep hill and usually come down in L. Sometimes it is too slow and holds speed around 20-23 mph. Other sections that are really steep require braking or the speed will get up to 40. It's only a 2 mile hill so nothing like what you're dealing with but will give you an idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should be fine in "L" going down your mountain passes. I have taken my wife's 17 CRV Touring down our canyons that exceed 10% and are much tighter and narrower than Berthoud pass with zero issues. The brakes are also very stout on the 17 CRV and will haul you down to a reasonable speed. "L" has a at top speed which is verified at 124mph(Car and Driver December 2016)

·
Registered
1 Posts
potentialowner- Just returned to Denver from a visit to Vail for the holiday. FWIW in holiday traffic WB on Floyd Hill, my CRV Touring held approx. 35-40 [email protected] about 4000 rpm in L on that descent. Bumping it into S lowered rpm by about 1000 and it then held about 55-60mph. We were loaded with 3 adults, a gold retriever, plus a little luggage, so the car was pretty heavy at the time. No idea what actual max rpm is in low, but think it should hold speed comfortably at the speed you want. I realize this drive was on dry roads, not snow, but hopefully this info is helpful.
Aaron in Denver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts