Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is concerning the coronavirus quarantine. My wife is a health care worker. I am a care giver for my 78 year old immunocompromised mother. She doesn't want to stay in the house anymore and won't listen to reason. There is a distinct possibility of her just getting in her car and visiting one of her friends. I prefer not taking the chance of going in her house to possibly infect her and taking her key away. I have a spare.

Other than the battery disconnect. How else can I prevent the car from being started? Can I pull a fuse? Something without damaging the car. Hopefully quick and easy.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
29 Posts
My opinion is to disable her car and tell her. You might want to be covert so you don’t get heck but respect her enough to tell her how far your love and concern for her goes; you've disabled her vehicle. Loving you means her staying home. Not much you can do after that.
Be up front with everyone especially the ones you love.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
830 Posts
Make sure you grab extra fuses in case u damage one. Dont wanna be stuck when the looting starts lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My opinion is to disable her car and tell her. You might want to be covert so you don’t get heck but respect her enough to tell her how far your love and concern for her goes; you've disabled her vehicle. Loving you means her staying home. Not much you can do after that.
Be up front with everyone especially the ones you love.
I appreciate the dignified response.
However, It's complicated.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is concerning the coronavirus quarantine. My wife is a health care worker. I am a care giver for my 78 year old immunocompromised mother. She doesn't want to stay in the house anymore and won't listen to reason. There is a distinct possibility of her just getting in her car and visiting one of her friends. I prefer not taking the chance of going in her house to possibly infect her and taking her key away. I have a spare.

Other than the battery disconnect. How else can I prevent the car from being started? Can I pull a fuse? Something without damaging the car. Hopefully quick and easy.

Thanks
Remove the small battery from the remote key FOB. Would not be able to start the vehicle. Make sure they do not have the second FOB or remove the battery from both FOBs.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Remove the small battery from the remote key FOB.
That battery has nothing to do with starting the car, only remote lock/unlock. The radio frequency ID (RFID) chip inside the fob requires no power; it gets it's power wirelessly from the immobilizer antenna around the ignition key slot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That battery has nothing to do with starting the car, only remote lock/unlock. The radio frequency ID (RFID) chip inside the fob requires no power; it gets it's power wirelessly from the immobilizer antenna around the ignition key slot.
OK. I know i had to replace the FOB battery and received warnings when the battery was low when starting the car. The manual talks about holding the fob to the dash above the start button when the battery is bad. Most people do not read manuals and might not know this. Good luck with this difficult situation. Taking keys away from elderly parents before they hurt someone or someone else is a difficult step.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts