Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen my dipstick showed slightly overfilled and found out some LX model engines are affected. I seem to smell fuel on my dipstick. I am weighing whether to do an oil analysis and hope that I am safe, or just try to return it, if dealer will even allow it. I have 600 miles. Couple questions.

1. Is any fuel odor on the dipstick normal or acceptable?
2. Would you be doing an oil analysis first or go straight to the dealer and ask for a return or trade for another vehicle?
3. Where can I find stats on the number of Lx engines experiencing this? Has anyone identified a pattern or reason other than claiming a design flaw, that may put minds at ease?
4. Best oil analysis lab and are there any drive in labs to do in person? NYC area.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
1. Yes a small amount is to be expected, but hard to differentiate from old oil
2. Depends how backwards you are on your loan. Dealer really doesnt owe you anything unless you prove damage was done due to dilution. Which is almost impossible.
3. Not enough stats to help
4.Oil Analyzers or Polaris maybe.

We already have the mega thread on OD. But the best thing to do is just to get a sample done and see where you come out. Anything under 5% is pretty normal. Report anything higher to your dealer and go from there

·
Registered
178 Posts
My CRV was only a week old with oil slightly past top level and smelling like gas. It's been 1.5 months now and nothing has changed - including the oil levels. I'm not concerned, and just having fun with my new wheels!

p.s. Gas has a very strong smell and it only takes a few drops to stink things up. There was post here some time ago from someone who smelled gas in his oil and had it tested. Results came back with <1% OD if I recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Yes a small amount is to be expected, but hard to differentiate from old oil
2. Depends how backwards you are on your loan. Dealer really doesnt owe you anything unless you prove damage was done due to dilution. Which is almost impossible.
3. Not enough stats to help
4.Oil Analyzers or Polaris maybe.

We already have the mega thread on OD. But the best thing to do is just to get a sample done and see where you come out. Anything under 5% is pretty normal. Report anything higher to your dealer and go from there
Thank you. Do you know of any video tutorial on doing the sample? Is it as simple as siphening out a small amount of oil from dipstick tube and sending it in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts