Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people are not all that thrilled with the picture from the rear view camera and I agree that it is not as sharp as I would have liked it to be. I have adjusted mine to get the best picture and found that the factory default settings were not optimal. You can follow these steps and adjust the settings, just keep in mind that a better day time picture setup might not deliver as good of a night time setup and vice versa.

I adjusted mine at night for the best low light view as the daytime one is easy enough to see the details. You can adjust yours until you either get the best balance or for the conditions that you drive in most of the time.

Electronics Display device Multimedia Technology Electronic device

To Start you need to go into the Diagnostic mode of the 7" HU.

To do this you need to Press three buttons on the HU at the same time.

1) Brightness (Bottom left button with moon symbol on it)
2) Phone (Left button typically the third one down)
3) Power button (center button on volume knob)

Use two hands, one just touching the volume knob and the other hand with the two fingers hovering over phone and brightness, then press the three at the same time. It may take a few tries but once you press all three together the Diagnostic screen will appear.

Keep in mind the return button can take you back a step at anytime and most of the advanced screens have a return button at the top also.

Text Font Technology Electronic device Screenshot

Once you have that up select the bottom panel "Detailed information and setting"

That will take you to this screen:

Text Font Screenshot

Select (Monitor Check)

This will take you to this screen OR on some models a menu with just LWC and RWC options.

On my model I get this screen.
Electronics Multimedia Screen Technology Display device

If you get a screen with just LWC and RWC select RWC to adjust the Rear Wide Camera. LWC is the Side Camera on Asian models.

If you see the screen above scroll down and select "Display Adjustment Mode"

That will bring up this screen:

Electronics Display device Screen Multimedia Electronic device

Select the Rear Wide Camera Option. On other units just select RWC from the two listed items.

Continued.....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Once your in the Rear Camera settings it's pretty self explanatory.

On some models you will see a screen like the one below

On other models you will just see sliders for the various picture controls. Note that on those models there is a separate Tab at the top of the screen for the color section.

Text Screenshot Technology Font Electronic device

Select the option you want to adjust and the Cameras picture will come up on the screen with a slider control.

Adjust each part until you get the picture the way you want it.

I found that adjusting contrast and brightness gave a much better night time camera view for parking. I was also able to sharpen the daytime picture by about 15%.

When your done just use the return or back button and you can exit out with your setting saved.

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
Thanks Rob! I will be trying this out in the next few days and will post my results.

·
Registered
857 Posts

On other models you will just see sliders for the various picture controls. Note that on those models there is a separate Tab at the top of the screen for the color section.

View attachment 125777

Select the option you want to adjust and the Cameras picture will come up on the screen with a slider control.

I found that adjusting contrast and brightness gave a much better night time camera view for parking. I was also able to sharpen the daytime picture by about 15%.

When your done just use the return or back button and you can exit out with your setting saved.

Rob
Good guide. I second the improvements.

This plus changing your backup bulbs to LEDs changes the experience totally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank U Sir, I'll try this!

I've already change the reverse with the LED. It helped a lot... But if we can enhanced it more... why not? :)

View attachment 125777

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
canadian model

I know a lot of people are not all that thrilled with the picture from the rear view camera and I agree that it is not as sharp as I would have liked it to be. I have adjusted mine to get the best picture and found that the factory default settings were not optimal. You can follow these steps and adjust the settings, just keep in mind that a better day time picture setup might not deliver as good of a night time setup and vice versa.

I adjusted mine at night for the best low light view as the daytime one is easy enough to see the details. You can adjust yours until you either get the best balance or for the conditions that you drive in most of the time.

View attachment 125767

To Start you need to go into the Diagnostic mode of the 7" HU.

To do this you need to Press three buttons on the HU at the same time.

1) Brightness (Bottom left button with moon symbol on it)
2) Phone (Left button typically the third one down)
3) Power button (center button on volume knob)

Use two hands, one just touching the volume knob and the other hand with the two fingers hovering over phone and brightness, then press the three at the same time. It may take a few tries but once you press all three together the Diagnostic screen will appear.

Keep in mind the return button can take you back a step at anytime and most of the advanced screens have a return button at the top also.

View attachment 125769

Once you have that up select the bottom panel "Detailed information and setting"

That will take you to this screen:

View attachment 125771

Select (Monitor Check)

This will take you to this screen OR on some models a menu with just LWC and RWC options.

On my model I get this screen.
View attachment 125773

If you get a screen with just LWC and RWC select RWC to adjust the Rear Wide Camera. LWC is the Side Camera on Asian models.

If you see the screen above scroll down and select "Display Adjustment Mode"

That will bring up this screen:

View attachment 125775

Select the Rear Wide Camera Option. On other units just select RWC from the two listed items.

Continued.....
on canadian model we have only LWC not RWC

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks Rob, but as a side question - does anyone else find that in rain the rear camera is easily obscured with water drops on the lens? At least in my case when it rains and I have to back up it looks like water is just sticking to the lens, distorting the backup image.

And for those who've made adjustments per Rob's direction, have you found one or two key tweaks that bring a nice improvement, or is it a bit more experimental? I thought my image looked pretty good, especially at night, but I may have to give this a try. BTW, the Nissan Murano's rear camera view is terrible by comparison.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks Rob, but as a side question - does anyone else find that in rain the rear camera is easily obscured with water drops on the lens? At least in my case when it rains and I have to back up it looks like water is just sticking to the lens, distorting the backup image.

And for those who've made adjustments per Rob's direction, have you found one or two key tweaks that bring a nice improvement, or is it a bit more experimental? I thought my image looked pretty good, especially at night, but I may have to give this a try. BTW, the Nissan Murano's rear camera view is terrible by comparison.
Yes rain makes the rear camera almost unusable. The other night a droplet was causing it to register cross traffic that didn't exist. Very annoying, but understandable.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Contrast and Brightness can make night time look a lot better.

Rob

·
Registered
426 Posts
I clean my rear lens with RainX, can't say if it's any better (didn't do a before/after), but doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems to be a different process for NA crv.. And the setting changes dont seem to be saved..
Hmmm thats odd. I met a guy who imported a LHD vehicle from the USA and he asked me to install Hondahack for him. So while I was setting up things in the HU I did a some adjustments to his Camera and they were saved. It was an EX-L model. Thats how I knew about the different screens on the different models.

Rob

·
Registered
495 Posts
For NA US EX I have to follow similar procedure as enabling browser.
After you click detailed settings then you have to hold the phone icon down for a few seconds. Then it will bring up the menu where you can select rwc settings.
But even after changing it doesnt seem to save.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My sister just bought a new Audi Q5 with a non retractable center screen that really looks like a glued on afterthought. She was upset about this, but with her it has to be a German car. So I told her about the US federal law that requires the screen displaying the rear camera to be viewable at all times.
It is entirely possible that the same law prohibits tinkering with the rear camera, thereby eliminating saving your settings.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those setting cannot toggle the camera control, they just adjust brightness, contrast etc.
I have a suspicion that it might be the updated firmware that newer models came out with. The same firmware that removed the browser Icon might have also locked the developer HU settings file to read only. I will mention it to Codeage from HH and see if he has any ideas.

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems to be a different process for NA crv.. And the setting changes dont seem to be saved..
Hmmm thats odd. I met a guy who imported a LHD vehicle from the USA and he asked me to install Hondahack for him. So while I was setting up things in the HU I did a some adjustments to his Camera and they were saved. It was an EX-L model. Thats how I knew about the different screens on the different models.

Rob
Those setting cannot toggle the camera control, they just adjust brightness, contrast etc.
I have a suspicion that it might be the updated firmware that newer models came out with. The same firmware that removed the browser Icon might have also locked the developer HU settings file to read only. I will mention it to Codeage from HH and see if he has any ideas.

Rob
On a similar note, my head unit does not save hidden menu settings more than a few days to a week. 2018 Touring USA model. Not sure if exact length of time. I noticed this with the guidance volume adjustment. Anyone that uses CarPlay knows how quiet navigation is even with the setting at max/11. Quick fix is to adjust the guidance volume setting in the hidden menu so that level 11 = max volume setting of 56. I wish it could go higher, but 56 is adequate. Anyways, it seems that the head unit resets those settings every so often. Again, not sure how often, but it seems like once a week I have to readjust the hidden guidance volume setting back to 11 for 56. I’m also using Honda Hack. Maybe you can pass along to Codeage my post/info? Maybe Codeage can fix the auto factory reset problem, solving both camera adjustment and guidance volume problems at once. Lastly, again not sure if related but the hidden web browser that you can enable with the android function setting in the hidden menu also seems to disappear at some point after enabling it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a similar note, my head unit does not save hidden menu settings more than a few days to a week. 2018 Touring USA model. Not sure if exact length of time. I noticed this with the guidance volume adjustment. Anyone that uses CarPlay knows how quiet navigation is even with the setting at max/11. Quick fix is to adjust the guidance volume setting in the hidden menu so that level 11 = max volume setting of 56. I wish it could go higher, but 56 is adequate. Anyways, it seems that the head unit resets those settings every so often. Again, not sure how often, but it seems like once a week I have to readjust the hidden guidance volume setting back to 11 for 56. I’m also using Honda Hack. Maybe you can pass along to Codeage my post/info? Maybe Codeage can fix the auto factory reset problem, solving both camera adjustment and guidance volume problems at once. Lastly, again not sure if related but the hidden web browser that you can enable with the android function setting in the hidden menu also seems to disappear at some point after enabling it.
I will mention it to him.
After Reading your post i am getting a feeling of confirmation that all the versions that have the updated firmware with the browser hidden also had something done to mess with the hidden menu functions being saved. I changed my rear view camera settings months ago and they have remained.
My vehicle has the old firmware with the browser still in the app section.

Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts