Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there's a radio code that's some kind of anti-theft function (don't ask me to explain why or how it works), but if the battery is ever disconnected, the radio is disabled unless you enter the "radio code". Now according to the Honda Owner's website,

1) There was supposed to be an anti-theft identification card or label included in the glove box displaying the radio code and serial number (there isn't).
2) There is a way to retrieve the radio serial number from the radio itself and then use that the retrieve the radio code online, however the instructions are applicable only to older vehicles that lack an infotainment system.

Which brings me to my question... How do I retrieve the radio serial number for my 17? Like I said if i can get the radio serial number I know how to use it to retrieve the code number. When I called my dealer to inquire, they told me to hold down the radio power button with the radio off, however when I do that all I get is an option box asking me if I want to reboot. So I ask again, does anyone know how to retrieve the serial number from the infotainment system on the 2017 CR-V?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have disconnected battery for hours, resetting auto high beam function, and no radio code asked after reconnecting.
The HU in the touring car has VIN programmed into the HU, it does check with car's other devices to make sure vin# matched and if does matched radio code entry is by passed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Apparently, this was changed in the 2017 models where there is no serial number. I too read about the serial number and asked my dealer when I could not find it. As stated above, it will re-establish automatically as long as it's on the original car's network. Moving one of these to another car may be another issue requiring the dealer. I have also found the dealer lacking some knowledge on certain new methods such as how the built in firmware is updated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe that number is only for Sirius-XM identification. Page 232 of the owners manual shows how to reactivate a disconnected radio. Codes are no longer used.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Actually many vehicles for some years now use the car's VIN number as the ID. That is why if you were to take this radio out and put it in another car it won't work. The VIN is broadcast over the car's computer network so the radio knows its in the right vehicle. This is nothing new. GM had it many years ago, as did other cars. Automotive networks are far more advanced than some people realize.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So apparently the field on the Honda Owner's profile for radio code is superfluous in newer models and the even the dealer is uninformed. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
p232
"Audio System Theft Protection
The audio system is disabled when it is disconnected from the power source, such as when the battery is disconnected or goes dead. In certain conditions, the system may display a code entry screen. If this occurs, reactivate the audio system.

Reactivating the audio system
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
2. Turn on the audio system.
3. Press and hold the audio system power button for more than two seconds.
The audio system is reactivated when the audio control unit establishes a connection with the vehicle control unit. If the control unit fails to recognize the audio unit, you must go to a dealer and have the audio unit checked."

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There's a thread about the radio code here http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/132338-2017-radio-code-question.html

Some thinks there's no code but from my experience, I had to input a code for it to start working again. So maybe some requires a code and some don't?
I have had power completely removed from the vehicle (battery disconnected for some time) and when I restarted the car the radio just asked for a reset. This is where it likely pinged the ECM and got the VIN broadcast. Now, it is possible that there is a code that will let you clear the VIN from the radio and then let it relearn the VIN from the ECM. I don't know for sure but I recall some years back we would need to contact Delco to get a code to clear the memory of their radios so they would accept a new VIN. That was never published in any manual or book that a consumer or other non-professional person would see for obvious reasons. Its possible to get a corruption in the memory of the radio and have to clear it to properly reset. I can not speak with a high degree of authority on the in's and out's of the current Honda radio. My statements are based on experience with similar products in other vehicles and represents an overview of how this system likely works as this is the common practice on many makes now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where did you find the serial number? It’s no where in my manual or in my car?
Do you mean the radio code? It's not listed anywhere in the manual or the car.

I went to the closest Honda dealership first and they couldn't find or get the code. So I had to call the dealership I bought the car from and they looked it up and gave me the code over the phone.

But that was the only time I needed to input a code.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,912 Posts
Well, you do not need any sort of code to unlock the head unit after a power loss or hard reset. The head unit and the vehicle are linked by an internally recorded code or serial number at the factory. The only time it would ever need to be changed would be if the head unit was replaced. Honda deprecated the need for actual security codes on radios and head units years ago.

As for needing the serial number of the head unit... say for use on native application.. like satellite radio, I believe you can actually look that up right from the head unit itself. I have not done it myself, but I have heard other owners report this as the fastest way to the head unit serial number

1 - 14 of 14 Posts