Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bolt off on the negative terminal so I can put the ringlet from the trickle charger on. Has anyone here installed one before?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Obviously you need either a crescent wrench or a socket set. I believe the nut is 10mm. Lefty loosy and righty tighty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nut won't come off. It's like they made the end of the bolt wider so the nut can't ever come off.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If that nut is actually stuck, I'd be surprised. It means you cannot change out the battery later either.. unless it losens enough for a battery change only.

Are you sure it's not just free spinning? There is a clamp on the bottom side that pinches the connection tight to the battery terminal when you tighten the nut. Once the nut is loosened, that can free spin on you if you don't hold it up and tight against the terminal assembly.

For now, you could just pick another ground point under the hood. Any good ground will do for the purposes of a trickle charge connection.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The treading on the negative clamp is made so you don't remove the nut only loosen it. Don't ask me why but they are all like that. If you remove the nut you're going to have a hell of a time getting back on without messing up the threads. Just cut the terminal ring, spread it apart, slip it under the nut then close the ring back up.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The treading on the negative clamp is made so you don't remove the bolt only loosen it. Don't ask me why but they are all like that. If you remove the nut you're going to have a hell of a time getting back on without messing up the threads. Just cut the terminal ring, spread it apart, slip it under the nut then close the ring back up.
(y)

I learn something new everyday :)

Yeah.. just snip the ring open and adjust it until it slides between the nut and the washer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I had read that earlier! I managed to get the nut off with a socket wrench and get it back on with the ringlete on it, but my socket fell off into the engine bay somewhere and I can't find it :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any tips for trying to find a socket lost in the engine bay? Or should I just chalk it up as a loss? Should I be worried about it bouncing around and ruining stuff?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts