Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
358 Posts
I've never carried a fire extinguisher in any road vehicle - because I carry insurance.
If you truely feel the need then just screw/ bolt - or velcro it down in a place your find convenient.

Then properly insure it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you needing it to be within Driver's Arm Reach or in the rear trunk area? If a compressed tank (which has negative risks in an accident as well) isn't your thing, one might want to investigate a large size Fire Blanket instead. One can store them within the trunk without worry as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,757 Posts
Only worthwhile extinguishers are big enough to come with their own bracket. Now fabricating a bracket that mounts to say the seat anchorage will take some welding skills.

Its rare to have a car fire. If you do, get the heck out of the car pronto. If you see another car on fire, stay away, car fires tend to get nasty fast.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
It's interesting that you need a fire extinguisher in your car. However, like someone already said, try some Velcro or double sided tape.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
It's interesting that you need a fire extinguisher in your car. However, like someone already said, try some Velcro or double sided tape.
Everyone should carry a fire extinguisher in their vehicle. I do, and always have, and as a truck driver I can easily attest to its life-saving capability. Trust me, you'd rather be caught with one and not need it than to need one and not have it. It can make the difference between a minor repair and a total loss. More importantly, it can save your life or the lives of loved ones or strangers at an accident scene. No amount of insurance (or other, similar smart-mouthed replies) will do that. And car fires are not rare. In fact, they are more common than ever. The only caveat is to stay away from electric vehicles. Never use one in that instance. Electric vehicles are very dangerous in fires and require special equipment. Also, a fire blanket is not a substitute. And a fire extinguisher is not an explosion hazard.

Never, ever, ever mount one using Velcro or tape. In an accident it will easily come loose and cave your head in. A 5lb unit has a bracket, and can be mounted in many locations - try for an easily accessed one, speed is of the essence in an emergency. Mount it solidly. Horizontally, on the floor behind the driver or passenger seat is a good spot, especially if you can reach it from the driver's seat.

One would do well to carry a certain amount of emergency equipment in a vehicle. Number one is a fire extinguisher. Add a first aid kit, a jug of water, and a tool kit. I also carry a set of reflector triangles. Once you are in an emergency situation, it's a little late to be thinking about these things.

Reactions: Kurbel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Kloker, I've gotten advice before about the importance of an extinguisher which why I asked. You do mention mounting it on the floor by the seats, but I'm looking for specific recommendations if possible. I'm not a welder and don't want to make major modifications for the vehicle, at the least I'd need some tips on how to go about mounting.

Everyone should carry a fire extinguisher in their vehicle. I do, and always have, and as a truck driver I can easily attest to its life-saving capability. Trust me, you'd rather be caught with one and not need it than to need one and not have it. It can make the difference between a minor repair and a total loss. More importantly, it can save your life or the lives of loved ones or strangers at an accident scene. No amount of insurance (or other, similar smart-mouthed replies) will do that. And car fires are not rare. In fact, they are more common than ever. The only caveat is to stay away from electric vehicles. Never use one in that instance. Electric vehicles are very dangerous in fires and require special equipment. Also, a fire blanket is not a substitute. And a fire extinguisher is not an explosion hazard.

Never, ever, ever mount one using Velcro or tape. In an accident it will easily come loose and cave your head in. A 5lb unit has a bracket, and can be mounted in many locations - try for an easily accessed one, speed is of the essence in an emergency. Mount it solidly. Horizontally, on the floor behind the driver or passenger seat is a good spot, especially if you can reach it from the driver's seat.

One would do well to carry a certain amount of emergency equipment in a vehicle. Number one is a fire extinguisher. Add a first aid kit, a jug of water, and a tool kit. I also carry a set of reflector triangles. Once you are in an emergency situation, it's a little late to be thinking about these things.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Thanks for the reply Kloker, I've gotten advice before about the importance of an extinguisher which why I asked. You do mention mounting it on the floor by the seats, but I'm looking for specific recommendations if possible. I'm not a welder and don't want to make major modifications for the vehicle, at the least I'd need some tips on how to go about mounting.
No welding! The bracket should come with self-tapping screws which, with a quarter-inch impact, should easily screw the bracket to the floor, once positioned correctly. If not you can get the screws at the Home Depot. They are usually hex head, with what looks like a bit of drill bit on the bottom end. Be very sure to check underneath the car to make sure the screws will not drill into a brake line or something! It's about a five minute job. Here's a good one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN3354...&pd_rd_r=3c4cccae-94dd-11e9-8a6c-e34c2ae4bc12

This is the size, mount, and type carried in big trucks. Anything smaller is not much use. This is actually pretty small. I have twenty pounders in my shop. May seem a bit large for the CR-V, but smaller is not better. You can always throw a floor mat or piece of carpet or a cover of some sort over it to protect it from feet. I have used one of these many, many times to save a vehicle or a life. Also re-chargeable.

Reactions: bugle

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
424 Posts

A little off topic but since you will have a fire extinguisher, an electric car fire like the tesla will need to be completely submerged in water to keep it cool after the fire or it will reignite itself even after a few days.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Forgot to mention that the bracketeer works on almost all types of seats on rails- confirmed "no go" in my case is only Toyota Forerunner newest gen with electric seats.

·
Read Only
41 Posts
U can fail a Department Of Transportation (DOT) inspection if it’s a commercial vehicle and u do not have one most companies put the “fire extinguisher inside”stickers on the outside to show where it is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Kidde fire extinguisher on a braketeer bracket on the front bottom portion of front passenger seat. Access in 1 second, out of the way the whole time. Very easy and sturdy mounting point.
The Bracketeer: The Bracketeer
That looks pretty nice, but a bit steep at $60. Also, it says it's for a 2-2.5lb extinguisher. You need a 5'lb. minimum.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
424 Posts
What about the Element fire extingusher. Just saw this pop up recently. Seems pretty good idea.

I really like the fact that it doesnt expire or need regular maintenance and small enough to just keep it in the door. I just placed an order. One for each car and one for the house.
Got a discount code from one of the youtube video: NGS10 for 10% off too from this guy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That looks pretty nice, but a bit steep at $60. Also, it says it's for a 2-2.5lb extinguisher. You need a 5'lb. minimum.
Thank you! I guess I will have to add one more bracket/2.5 pounder under the driver's seat:)
After reading up on the previous gen oil filter fires I thought I just need something to slow down a fire until I get the kids out of their seats. For that reason ease of access paired with secure mounting was the priority.
Those two mutually exclusive requirements led to the bracketeer solution, which I admit is pricy:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 1kg extinguisher mounted just inside the hatch door on the right rear of my 2013 CRV. It is securely screwed to the bodywork with two quick-release clips. It should not move in other than a severe collision and my reason for mounting there is any fire is likely to start at the front under the hood or dash. If going to someone's assistance it is in a handy position to grab and use. ALWAYS carry one it may save a life. (y):whistle:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
U can fail a Department Of Transportation (DOT) inspection if it’s a commercial vehicle and u do not have one most companies put the “fire extinguisher inside”stickers on the outside to show where it is at.
Fire extinguisher is mandatory over here in all vehicles, two in commercial vehicles. It's checked during inspection together with first aid kit and wheel chocks. Fire extinguishers need to be tested (bi)annually and get a new expiration tag.

Reactions: kloker

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I have a 1kg extinguisher mounted just inside the hatch door on the right rear of my 2013 CRV. It is securely screwed to the bodywork with two quick-release clips. It should not move in other than a severe collision and my reason for mounting there is any fire is likely to start at the front under the hood or dash. If going to someone's assistance it is in a handy position to grab and use. ALWAYS carry one it may save a life. (y):whistle:
The only issue with that is that there is no manual release on the rear hatch of the CR-V, so if your engine is on fire or damaged and your power is out, you cannot get the rear hatch open to get to that extinguisher. Or get the doors open if you have passengers. And there will never be enough time to figure it out, you have to act fast.

As far as size goes, in many cases of fires at accident scenes, there is no large enough fire extinguisher. Many major accidents occur at night, in rural areas, or in rush hour traffic, where fire and EMT services cannot get to a scene very quickly. Being a retired truck driver, I can tell you that people die for really stupid, bizarre reasons, like power door locks jamming, or windows stuck. Not having an extinguisher should not be one of them.

Reactions: Kurbel
1 - 20 of 20 Posts