Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently bought a 2000 5MT. The battery had gone dead during storage before I bought it and the radio is showing "Code 1" when turned on. The previous owner did not have the radio code. I understand that the serial number on the back of the radio is needed to give to a dealer to get the code to reset the radio.

Is there a way to get at the radio serial number without tearing out the entire front console? I have a Honda manual and is seems there are about 6 or 7 pieces to remove BEFORE you get the removing the radio console! Every piece lips into the next on down. Lots of work.

Is there a way to read the S/N maybe by taking off the glove box and using a mirror or something? I don't mind some gynmastics to read the number back there, it it's accessible. I don't relish the thought of disassembling and reassembling the whole works if I can avoid it.

I can't understand why Honda makes the S/N so hard to get at - if a thief steals your radio, he can see the S/N. If the owner needs the S/N, he has a major effort. Why not just print it along with the VIN on the vehicle sticker? Much easier.

Thanks in advance. This is a great forum and has helped me several times.

Hasta luego from Costa Rica!
Scott

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Do a search and you should find out how to do it. It has something to do with pressing some radio buttons while turning it on and the radio will display it serial number. I think you hold down the 1 and the 6 and turn the radio on.
This may give you the serial number that you need to give to a Honda dealer.
I think if you search the Internet for radio serial number for a 2000 Honda, you will find out.
Also check inside the glove box (left hand side) ash try bottom,trunk, fuse box under hood, etc for a sticker with the 5 digit code required for the radio.
Buffalo4
PS:Try calling several Honda dealers and have your VIN number, etc handy. You may just luck out and find one who can look it up and give it to you over the phone without charge.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
After further searching, it sounds like the 1-6 trick only works on Hondas that are 2001 and above. Sounds like a 2000 and older need the radio to be removed to get the radio serial number.
My friends CRV had the radio code in the glove box. It was a sticker on the left hand side.
Some say that you might be able to use a dental type mirror and insert it either through the ash tray hole or somewhere else to read the radio serial numbers.
Later,
Buffalo4
PS: Try the 1-6 trick anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts