Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(SOLVED) How to reboot base model lx radio? (plagued with issues)

(SOLVED) - See post #9

So yeah I know about the "known issues" thread. Which I've already removed and re added my phone several times....

But my issue here is the bluetooth connectivity between my phone and the head unit. It's notoriously a pain in the ass right now.
Last few weeks the head unit wont connect to my phone and sometimes it does connect (takes like 5 minutes geez) and on top of that several times it's bugged.

As in it shows connected but music wont play back being unresponsive. This happens almost every time I get back in the car from parking it and turning it off/on.

I've seen videos/ read about how to reboot the 7 inch android model. Anyone know how the hell to reboot the base version?

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, allow me to begin by commending you on your impeccable taste in choosing the LX trim. Not many of us here...the masses seem to drive the EX and above. Not many elite LX-ers on the forum. :)

Interesting. No issues here with the base radio. Nexus 5x phone on Google Project Fi service.

Admittedly, I use my old iPod nano for music more than my phone, though. But I have streamed music no problem.

I'd recommend disconnecting your vehicle's battery for 15 minutes or 30 minutes. That might reset the head unit. Other than that, you may have a hardware issue, or just have a phone that for whatever reason doesn't play well with the head unit.

The good news is that since you and I have the base radio, it should be pretty easy at some point to put whatever aftermarket head unit we want in there. I know the Civic guys with the similar base head unit have already ripped it out and upgraded to navigation and everything else over on CivicX. Should be a similar process on the CR-V, as soon as a dash kit becomes available. So long term, the future is not all bleak for you and I. I'm fine with the radio as-is, but one small reason I chose the LX was for the more easily upgraded stereo at some point down the line.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First, allow me to begin by commending you on your impeccable taste in choosing the LX trim. Not many of us here...the masses seem to drive the EX and above. Not many elite LX-ers on the forum. :)
Thanks. It's all I could really afford. Plus It's more than enough for me. I find it loaded to the boot for a base model. -It was either the base CR-V or an HR-V and NOPE that thing is way too small for me.

-about the bluetooth. As of right now I'm factory reseting my phone to see if it's the culprit. I have bluetooth issues with my PC as well using said phone. So I'm guessing it could be the phone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I could afford the EX, but after test driving it, I found little to no difference in the engines, really. The 18" wheels / tires rode rougher. Sensing seemed just a little too buggy for me at this point in time...I'll jump in that pool 5 years from now when they perfect it. I test drove both trims a couple times back to back before coming to the conclusion that the engines were virtually the same, and the 17's rode better. If the turbo engine had been as impressive in the CR-V as it is in my wife's Civic, I might have sprung for it, but I found it mediocre in the same way that the 2.4 is pretty average as well.

Like you, there is nothing "base" to me about the LX. When I was a kid, our car had crank windows and no a/c. No power locks, or bluetooth, or keyless entry or cruise control. All that stuff is standard on the LX. Not that long ago, you had a relatively fancy car if you had PW, PL, cruise, etc. I prefer cloth vs. leather personally, regardless of cost. Frankly, I might pay more for cloth if leather was standard and cloth an option.

Anyway, there was one option on the EX that I really cared about, and that was the hands free key entry. Smart key, whatever you call it. That is kind of nice, my old Civic had it. But it wasn't worth paying $3k more when the rest was nothing I valued for that money. I realized that if I bought the EX, I'd have been spending $800 to find some new take off LX wheels and tires on eBay to swap out with the 18s. So the difference to me would have been close to $4k.

Try disconnecting your battery for half an hour, see if that clears things up or resets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How the hell do I disconnect the battery? I opened up the hood seems like a damn puzzle. I see three connections. All snug. Really don't feel like risking screwing something up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How the hell do I disconnect the battery? I opened up the hood seems like a damn puzzle. I see three connections. All snug. Really don't feel like risking screwing something up.
Sorry, I haven't looked specifically at the battery under my hood yet. Let me go look.

Ok, back.

It is a standard car battery, nothing unusual. There is a red cap over the positive terminal which is closer to you if you're standing there with the hood open at the front of the car looking into the engine bay. The terminal to the rear is the negative, the one closer to the windshield. It has no cover on it but has some wires going to it. No biggie.

The negative is the one you want to disconnect. There is one nut on the top rear edge of the terminal that tightens it to the battery post. The other stuff that is attached to the negative terminal, you can leave alone, it will come off as a unit with the terminal.

Loosening that one nut on the rear side of the rearmost cable end should allow you to pull the whole negative lead off and upward. You might have to wiggle it a bit or twist it, but once the tightening nut is removed or loose, the terminal, er, cable end, should come off by hand. Set it aside for 30 minutes then reconnect.

2017 engine bay with battery in pic. This is the 1.5T, but the battery is mounted identically in ours. The negative terminal is to the rear almost up against the black plastic at the rear of the compartment. You are not wanting to disconnect the black cord from the fitting, rather the whole cable end assembly from the battery terminal itself.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-58fa61a0/turbine/la-1492803997-lbiunp0ac6-snap-image

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't seem to find my socket wrench... But it seems leaving bluetooth enabled on my phone makes it connect almost instantly like it used to when I first bought the car..... I'm wondering if leaving bluetooth on on my phone makes a difference with the connection. (having to register and all that each time.) I have a bad habit of turning off the bluetooth function as soon as I get out of the car.

I'll still look into asking the crew at my next maintenance check to unplug the battery for me see if it does anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's not the radio. It was my phone this whole time. Leaving bluetooth enabled on my phone has it connect instantly as I turn on the car. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I too chose the LX. Money was a small factor but I just don't like the wheels on the EX. The wheels on the LX look much better with the Modern Steel Metallic that I bought. I drove both and saw very little difference. The driving experience and the ride to me are the same without the bells and whistles. One thing that sealed the deal is that my dealer had taken this LX and tinted the windows and pinstripe and they added leather seats. To me that made in unique enough for me to buy. I'm very happy with the LX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts