Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to the forum and my question might a little dumb. I am unable to figure out how to reboot the head unit of my 2017 crv. I have seen people are mentioning the power button, but I really don't see any on the HU. There is a pushable volume knob and 4 touch buttons (home, phone, back, audio and brightness).
For reference, the head unit is as shown here: https://www.honda.ca/crv/technology-features

·
Registered
15 Posts
Push and hold the volume button, I think for 10 seconds. That will reboot it. If you get really (REALLY) desperate and a reboot doesn't fix something, you can reset to factory settings in one of the menus but that will erase all your presets and everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was pretty sure that I have tried it before, but now it did actually work.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I hope there is a firmware update. The HU is just so buggy.. I reboot almost once a day.. :(
I am curious. Why are you having to reboot it? I have only done mine once and that was because I disconnected the battery to reset some lighting feature. Since then everything has seemed fine. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am curious. Why are you having to reboot it?
I'll answer instead about my case, if you don't mind :) Actually the reboot didn't help my original problem. It's the Android Auto. Suddenly, after the connection with the phone the HU screen started to be just black when switched to AA. It happened once before, but was solved by deleting the phone from the paired devices and re-pairing it. Didn't help the second time. Not sure if it's the HU or the phone issue. Anyway, being persistent and trying to reconnect and re-run the AA in different way have actually helped. Now it is working until the next time it breaks..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had to reboot mine last night (for the first time, 900 miles). I was using CarPlay earlier in the day for Maps. I usually just use Bluetooth for the hands free calling, since I'm in and out of the car on a lot of short trips I don't normally plug in. However, last night, on a separate trip from my earlier CarPlay one, I held down the voice button to get Siri and it came up on the vehicle screen as no device connected. I noticed the normal icons on the top of the display for the Bluetooth connection were missing. I tried a manual connect using the on screen menus, and it said it couldn't connect Bluetooth while CarPlay was in use. But the device was not connected...it was under my coat.

Once I rebooted the head unit, all was well, it automatically connected the Bluetooth when it booted back up.

It might be related to a weird experience I had earlier in the day too...I had backed up (camera on), and when I put it in drive, the screen went blank for several seconds and then I got the Honda logo before it went to the audio screen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine gets confused after listening to Bluetooth audio from my iPhone for a couple of weeks, so I end up rebooting it. It becomes really, really sluggish when skipping over songs and Siri takes a long time to come up as well. I've had a few other problems with it over time as well that a reboot seems to fix.

Now, if we could just get the infotainment system screen to dim at night, that would be a good start.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had some issues lately that maybe a reboot would help with. I agree the entire system seems buggy to a degree. The other day it seemed to take an unusually long time for the backup camera to engage after moving gear selector to rev. Had to wait for it to come up before backing. It did this all day long. Seems ok now though. When starting the vehicle sometimes it seems stuck on the screen display option page. Sometimes I have to press audio for it to do anything. Also, there is quite a lag for album artwork on Pandora. It seems the driver interface will load but not the main screen. Don't know if this is Pandora or Honda? These problems seem worse if I am using the jump drive to listen to music with. Do you think a reboot would help?

·
Registered
219 Posts
A quick reboot certainly won't hurt anything, so I'd go ahead and give it a try. It won't change any of your settings, so it is safe.

P.S. I was very sorry to hear about your accident. You have my deepest sympathies. I had a new 2012 Civic that I hadn't even had for a month when I was rear-ended, too. Once it was repaired, though, I never had any issues with it. This was through an Abra body shop that I've had (unfortunatley) excellent experiences with.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Reading these posts I now see a common thread...people who are having this reboot issue are connecting to their phones for audio or maps or whatever. Since this whole system is a big linked computer network perhaps the problem iw with the phone link. I think someone else mentioned that already. Maybe that is why I never have an issue as I don't do any more with my phone than to do phone calls and emails, no audio or map work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to reboot the head unit because it was playing a song from USB and suddenly the screen froze and stopped playing and would not respond to any touch selections. I held down the button for 10 seconds and it asked if I want to reboot and then you have to select Yes. It sat on the "shutting down" message forever. The reboot took almost 5 minutes, which is completely unacceptable from a 2 month old vehicle. The disadvantage of these new tech devices is they are much more sensitive and prone to issues than the old fashioned radios of yore. The software is also much less user friendly than my 2013 Kia Soul's was and I would expect improvements 4 years later, not to go backwards. Other than playing SXM this screen requires way more input than it should when driving down the road. Despite following the instruction manual the voice commands almost never work. So while I like the system in theory and what it supposedly offers, actual execution of the device is well below the standard of a vehicle in 2017.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Push volume button (2017, 2018) to reboot radio. Cures Bluetooth of skipping every 10 to 15 seconds. There's a bug somewhere between Android and Honda Bluetooth. I've had to do this twice in first month of ownership. This skipping can drive you nuts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran into a problem the other day where it was (almost) completely unresponsive, it turned out that I had plugged in my phone during the 'blah blah don't do stuff while driving [OK]' popup that (usually) auto clears, but since the screen switched, it didn't but had still locked out all the controls until it was pressed (including rebooting via the volume knob).

Oddly enough, turning off the vehicle and turning it back on didn't fix it. Some combination of mashing 'back' on the HU and steering wheel got me back to the popup which I was able to dismiss then everything was fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am really surprise to see that people many reboot that often. I done only once and it not solved the problem I have(Carplay does not work after I update my phone. Remove car from the phone and reconnect actually help). Is the car radio running on window xp?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello friends,this is my first post. I've been enjoying my 2017 CRV EX since May and after contacting Honda Handsfree link at 1-888-528-7876 I think I may have a fix for the on going head unit troubles that a lot of us have been experiencing. This is step by step process I went through 1-start car then go to onscreen menu and select System ,scroll down to Factory Data Reset and go through reset process(this takes 5-10 min.)don't shut off engine during this process;2-Delete your phone from the head unit then pair it up again making sure you select music and phone(you may have to acknowledge pairing codes from service provider);3-on your iPhone(sorry don't know menu options on Android phones)go to settings and press General then scroll down to Accessibility and press ,then scroll down to Call Audio Routing and press ,then select(check)Bluetooth Headset option. This procedure according to the Service Tech should fix the problem especially the Bluetooth and Pandora linkup and dropping problems. So far it's been working for me ,sometimes I have to select Bluetooth if the Pandora app isn't connecting but I can choose it again later. Good luck I hope this helps some of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a long time Android phone user, this is probably sound advice. Often time when an Android phone acts up and whenever a major new release is installed, the recommendation in the various Android forums is to do a factory reset. It fixes many problems. The head unit is Android based. It's an old version, Android 4 (aka Jelly Bean) if I recall. Current Android out for phones is Android 8 (aka Oreo). My slightly old Android Nexus 6 phone has Android 7 (aka nougat). it would be nice if the head unit would be upgraded to a newer release but I doubt that will ever happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you hard reset a 2013 Honda CR-V audio system? When the phone button is pushed it just says ‘loading’. Before I buy a hf unit I would like to try a reset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts