Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the plastic cover which sits behind the rear view mirror and covers all the wiring and the Honda Sense camera unit. I was told by a technician that it's possible to remove the cover without actually causing the Honda Sense camera to become misaligned (since the camera itself is not mounted to the plastic cover, rather it's mounted to a separate bracket which is glued to the windshield). The tech also mentioned that he had a 10% success rate at reusing the cover since it usually somehow breaks. How would you remove this plastic cover without breaking it? I can always buy a new one for $15 but I'm hoping someone here has enough technical knowledge to explain exactly where it gets attached, by what method (pin, clip, etc) and any techniques to remove it without actually breaking it. Hope you can help!!

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
I just pulled on mine and reinstalled it. No trickery needed. However u need to realize by pulling it down if you know into anything its a way bigger problem then a $15 cover

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
I need to remove the plastic cover which sits behind the rear view mirror and covers all the wiring and the Honda Sense camera unit. I was told by a technician that it's possible to remove the cover without actually causing the Honda Sense camera to become misaligned (since the camera itself is not mounted to the plastic cover, rather it's mounted to a separate bracket which is glued to the windshield). The tech also mentioned that he had a 10% success rate at reusing the cover since it usually somehow breaks. How would you remove this plastic cover without breaking it? I can always buy a new one for $15 but I'm hoping someone here has enough technical knowledge to explain exactly where it gets attached, by what method (pin, clip, etc) and any techniques to remove it without actually breaking it. Hope you can help!!
You should be able to look up the cover online and see exactly what kind of snap fittings it uses.

There is a set of little nubs on the inside surface that click into place on the factory glued mount on the windshield. When I had my windshield replaced last year, I watched the service tech pull everything apart, and in fact that cover slips off pretty easy (at least on my CRV) and reinstalls equally easy. You should be able to gently flex the outer edge of the cover on one side or the other and it will detach. I would try to use my fingernail, first and not any kind of tool.

I would just be gentle and cautious becasue if you break anything on the winshield side of the fastening.. you have much bigger problems then a replacement cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts