Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered new temperature and fan control knobs to replace my scratched ones on my Gen3. I tried pulling them off but I stopped because I was afraid that I was going to break something. I'm wondering if I have to dismantle the dash to remove them. I also tried turning in both directions to see if they were threaded on. Has anyone taken these off before? If so, how do I go about it?
SWA4B1700.jpg Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sc, the guys at my local dealership are extremely helpful but I thought I would save that call for another day. After closer inspection in turns out that there are two very small slots on each dial. They are on opposite sides of each other and pretty hard to see. I put painters tape on the end of a tiny flat screwdriver and pulled directly straight back. Do not pry it and pay special attention to the chrome trim as it could scratch easily. Align the new ones so that the white dot is turned left and set to off or cold. They just pop right in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that there are small clips inside the control knobs which is why they just cant be easily pulled off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please someone help me with the knob removal. I can easily remove the whole control piece out of the dashboard, very simple there, just use two screwdrivers at the same time one in each notch. But this is not my problem, my problem is my plastic ac control face got broken and I have a new one coming. I need to know how exactly to remove the actual knobs so I can change the plastic face out.

I took the advice above sc crv post #2, went in person to my local Honda dealership. I started with the parts kid, he said they usually break but take a plastic putty knife and pry on it. well, this didn't satisfy me so I went to the service department and asked the rep, he didn't know of course, no surprise there, but one of the actual mechanics came up and I asked him, he said I'll go "look it up" and be back in a few minutes, about 10 minutes later the rep hands me two pieces of paper that show how to remove the whole unit from the dashboard, he said the mechanic said there's some clips in there, and that was it. Now I'm more confused than ever. This is really bothering me.

I really hope someone can help me here. We have an inner and out knob, do you pry the inner out first? How do you access these clips they speak of? Is there a catch somewhere? Do they just pull off carefully?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to mention that there are small clips inside the control knobs which is why they just cant be easily pulled off.
Matt did you actually just pull them off? Do you have a pic of the insides of the knobs? Does it help if I were to remove the guts from the back of the unit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered new temperature and fan control knobs to replace my scratched ones on my Gen3. I tried pulling them off but I stopped because I was afraid that I was going to break something. I'm wondering if I have to dismantle the dash to remove them. I also tried turning in both directions to see if they were threaded on. Has anyone taken these off before? If so, how do I go about it?
View attachment 40202 Thanks!
Where did you order new knobs from? One of mine broke and I would like to replace it, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts