Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all Quilldor Jenkins here. This past winter while delivering medical supplies for a company. I had a box spill medical sugar water into the spare tire well of my 2017 crv. I tackled it hard although i thought but that horrible french fry smell is now back. I'm now at the point of removing the foam in said spare tire compartment, but i can not find any explanations on where and how to start. Due to the fact that when i say "how to remove foam in spare tire compartment" the internet feels like i want to change my spare grrrrrrr. Plz can someone into DIY direct me in the right direction. Before i just take razor knife and ruin the spare tire compartment lining.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hello all Quilldor Jenkins here. This past winter while delivering medical supplies for a company. I had a box spill medical sugar water into the spare tire well of my 2017 crv. I tackled it hard although i thought but that horrible french fry smell is now back. I'm now at the point of removing the foam in said spare tire compartment, but i can not find any explanations on where and how to start. Due to the fact that when i say "how to remove foam in spare tire compartment" the internet feels like i want to change my spare grrrrrrr. Plz can someone into DIY direct me in the right direction. Before i just take razor knife and ruin the spare tire compartment lining.
It is pretty easy, but you need to take the spare tire well apart, maybe even the rear QPs.

Consider subscribing to Honda tech info for a day for $5 or $10, it's an easy task but hard to explain. Once you have it download trim removal instructions for rear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I think the foam is just glued on. You can use a heat gun to warm the glue and make it more easily removed. Then the heat gun can also be used to remove the excess, leftover glue by rolling/rubbing it off while warm. Find some replacement foam, cut to size using the old pieces and use a glue gun to reapply. Take lots of pictures first and as you go to make it go smoothly. You could even use a sharpie to outline the old foam first.

Unfortunately, if any of the IV solution soaked into the fiberboard, You probably can't neutralize it, so you'd have to replace that too. I'd use tempered Masonite. You would also have to remove the top carpet and reattach it to the new piece, along with any other parts.

One thing you might try is to call up a crime scene cleanup business, and ask them if they know what might neutralize the smell. Hey, it's worth a shot, right? Heck, they might even be willing to do it, though I'd have no idea what that would cost.

It might, in the end, just be easier to find a replacement cover from a wrecking yard, depending on how proud they are of it. And, if any of the stuff spilled into the surrounding carpet, you might have to replace that too, plus maybe any padding under it, unless you can clean it sufficiently. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

After it's all done, I would install a rubber cargo mat as a preventative measure, such as the Weathertech. I have one, and it saved me when I brought home a leaky gallon of milk with the groceries. In this heat (I'm in Texas) that would not have smelled good, either.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Yeah.. liquid spills in a motor vehicle are generally a nightmare to completely clean up. The liquids seem to just get everywhere and linger.

I cannot help with the specifics of R&R on the foam, but I see you are already getting good advice on that. :)

For future readers of this thread.... your experience with a fluid spill is a great reference example of why it's a good idea for CRV owners to invest in a cargo floor liner. In fact... it's a good idea in my view for all car owners... because in most cases the spare tire is under a floor board in the trunk and is a perfect bucket to collect any fluid spills.

Personally, I invest in a cargo floor liner and a hanging cargo net for all my vehicles...that will keep items in the cargo area upright and stable when driving.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Why do you respond when you don't really know? The foam is not glued on, period.
It is in my CR-V. Proof: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/spare-tire-mod-carry-a-full-size-spare.141426/#post-996442

If it's not in yours, then perhaps you could, say, illuminate the rest of us and be helpful, instead of hurling empty and childish retorts? If the foam in yours is not glued on, how is it attached? I've personally never seen auto interior foam attached any other way, but I'm always open to learning something new.

Quilldor Jenkins - Look here: https://www.hondapartsconnection.com/oem-parts/honda-insulator-rear-cargo-83315tlaa01?c=Zz1pbnRlcmlvci1idW1wZXImcz1zaWRlLWxpbmluZyZsPTIwJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9aG9uZGEmbz1jci12LTUtZG9vciZ5PTIwMTcmdD1leGwtYXdkLW5hdmktZS1saWImZT12YXJpYWJsZQ==

This may be what you are talking about, depending on the model you have. It's the carpet padding panel that lines the metal floor under the spare tire in the well. Looks like a single molded piece. If so, I'd just order a new one, and replace it. Once you have it in hand, you should be able to figure out how to do the install. Probably just a matter of pulling up the floor carpet around the well. If any glue is holding it in place, then you may need a heat gun to remove it. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Quilldor Jenkins

·
Registered
865 Posts
It is in my CR-V. Proof: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/spare-tire-mod-carry-a-full-size-spare.141426/#post-996442

If it's not in yours, then perhaps you could, say, illuminate the rest of us and be helpful, instead of hurling empty and childish retorts? If the foam in yours is not glued on, how is it attached? I've personally never seen auto interior foam attached any other way, but I'm always open to learning something new.

Quilldor Jenkins - Look here: https://www.hondapartsconnection.com/oem-parts/honda-insulator-rear-cargo-83315tlaa01?c=Zz1pbnRlcmlvci1idW1wZXImcz1zaWRlLWxpbmluZyZsPTIwJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9aG9uZGEmbz1jci12LTUtZG9vciZ5PTIwMTcmdD1leGwtYXdkLW5hdmktZS1saWImZT12YXJpYWJsZQ==

This may be what you are talking about, depending on the model you have. It's the carpet padding panel that lines the metal floor under the spare tire in the well. Looks like a single molded piece. If so, I'd just order a new one, and replace it. Once you have it in hand, you should be able to figure out how to do the install. Probably just a matter of pulling up the floor carpet around the well. If any glue is holding it in place, then you may need a heat gun to remove it. Let us know how it turns out.
Your proof shows your lack of knowledge here. You don't have a gen 5 like OP and you replied as if you did. I already posted my recommendation. I have a gen 5.

Your info is a waste of time and could lead OP to go buy a heat gun when they really just need some trim removal tools.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Your proof shows your lack of knowledge here. You don't have a gen 5 like OP and you replied as if you did. I already posted my recommendation. I have a gen 5.

Your info is a waste of time and could lead OP to go buy a heat gun when they really just need some trim removal tools.
Actually, I DIDN'T. It says right in my sig that I have an '07.

Have you done it? Have you removed or replaced the foam? If you have, then why not just share your experience of how it went for you and what was involved. If you haven't done it, then you just threw vagueness at the question. I simply added some practical possibilities. He may not need a heat gun, but if he encounters any glue, it is a good way to go, and he can do so if and when he does. You seem extremely defensive. I wonder why? There is no issue here except the one you are creating. All I have done in this thread is attempt to help. If you'd like to help, then, by all means, please do so. I am certainly not stopping you.

Reactions: Quilldor Jenkins

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have you done it? Have you removed or replaced the foam?.
Yes, I have removed the entire interior of the gen 5 and documented it here:

As I have said now twice, the fastest path is to download the official instructions. It's not hard but there's clips and hidden screws involved that is too tedious to type up when Honda already did an amazing job.

Not defensive, I just care about this forum and have more than once had to correct your chiming in with false info on gen5 threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Ty all for the help much appreciated.

But after the question and much frustration. I went to my mechanic who didn't help but did give me a starting place on dismantling.

So for anyone having this issue like me it was most surprisingly simple. The foam padding isn't glued in just tact in with 4 plastic pins. 2 at the rear seats about 8 inches apart, and 2 at the hatch lock about same distance. Don't quote me on the distance LOL. The lining itself is only about an inch tucked in under the driver side, the passenger side, and the rear seat Interior molding. All i did was remove the molding at the hatch lock then the bigger molding along the length of the rear bumper and hatch. And in a stroke of luck i just happened to pull the edge of the lining on passenger side and it slid out so i just pulled it out. The only thing i couldn't get to were the 2 pins at the rear seat so i just pulled it and yes tore them loose but was just small tear at each pin. But all in all you can't see it cause it's in the 1 inch tuck.

I would like say with most happiness i washed the lining and bleached and dried the wheel well. It's all back together and NO smell. WOOT WOOT!!:)o_O:p:D:cool:!!!

Ty all again for the replies.

Quilldor Jenkins

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts

As I have said now twice, the fastest path is to download the official instructions. It's not hard but there's clips and hidden screws involved that is too tedious to type up when Honda already did an amazing job.

Not defensive, I just care about this forum and have more than once had to correct your chiming in with false info on gen5 threads.

If the forum would let me.. I would have given you multiple thumbs up.. rather then just one. :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts

But your excellent sound deadening thread still does not give the specific information sought here. I just posted some generally applicable helpful hints, given the lack of any other specific information prior to it in the thread. Having restored more than a dozen vintage cars from the ground up in my younger days, I am always willing to try and contribute when I can. Apparently there is only one slight difference in the Gen5 from earlier ones on this topic, but you never did just simply state that the foam is held in place with clips rather than glue. Also, this thread is posted in a general section, not a generation-specific one. Basically, this thread can now easily serve as a good reference for all generations, which is good, since this forum does not provide search capability per individual generations, and threads for the various generations are scattered all over the place. I will readily agree that that lack of separation can be somewhat confusing. I will also agree that it's a sad thing that Gen5 owners have no factory service manual to reference, and must pay money to access online information. But, though I have made a mistake or two here and there on the forum, I don't go around purposely posting false information as you insinuate, and your attitude is not the least bit helpful or constructive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts